Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1013144
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/ .
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the step at which the candidate will be placed in that specific grade. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
***RECRUITMENT AND/OR RELOCATION INCENTIVE ARE NOT AUTHORIZED
FUNCTIONAL STATEMENT NUMBER: 000000.
WORK SCHEDULE: MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY - 8:00AM TO 4:30PM
DUTIES : The Advanced Medical Support Assistant (MSA) works in the Patient Scheduling Unit (PSU). The PSU provides telephone access for scheduling needs, as well as point of access to update patient demographic information and collect patient insurance information. The PSU is responsible for the overall scheduling functuality in a level 1, tertiary care referral facility, which accepts referrals from a variety of sources, including CHAMPU/Tricare, DoD Sharing, CHAMPVA, non-VA sharing agreements, Spinal Cord Injury, PTSD, Nursing Home, Domiciliary Care, GRECC, Blind Rehabilitation, as well as referrals from medical centers in VISN 21 and northwestern states.
- Initial point-of-contact for all persons calling the PSU, determines the callers need and quickly and efficiently assists the caller. Timely and accurate receipt of patient telephone contacts regarding scheduling issues and assists with patient problem resolution, concerns, and unmet needs. Determines nature of patient's needs, questions or complaints, and answers questions, provides information.
- Determines status of patient and if a new patient advises on VA care eligibility. Ensure patient is assigned to an appropriate primary care provider and facilitate the scheduling of appointments. Ensure eligibility for appointments in specialty clinics, coordinates consult scheduling for care to the specialty clinics.
- Monitors PSU telephone system.
- Responsible for reviewing the patient's list of pending appointments in the recall software to determine if additional visits could be scheduled during the call. Offers to coordinate appointments to reduce multiple visits to the facility.
- Gathers accurate and current demographic information and third party insurance information. Makes corrections to VistA database. Ensure data is accurate.
- Verifies registration and eligibility data, and advise veteran the process to update their registration.
- Assists supervisor in a variety of reports, surveys, and special projects designed to apprise management of the call center's quality, production, timeliness, etc.