Job Title:IT Specialist (SYSADMIN) (DBMS Administrator)
Department:Department Of The Treasury
Agency:Bureau of the Fiscal Service
Job Announcement Number:14-FS-089P
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, December 13, 2013 to
Monday, December 23, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Career/Career Conditional -
|1 vacancy -
Kansas City, MO View Map|
1 vacancy -
Parkersburg, WV View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|U.S. citizens; no prior Federal experience is required. Current permanent Federal employees in competitive service positions, former Federal employees who have reinstatement eligibility, and individuals who are eligible to apply under special appointing authorities may wish to apply for this same vacancy under Merit Promotion Announcement 14-FS-088. Please refer to that vacancy announcement for details on eligibility and how to apply.|
About the Agency
The Bureau of the Fiscal Service promotes the financial integrity and operational efficiency of the federal government through exceptional accounting, financing, collections, payments, and shared services. This position is located in the CIO Information and Security Services, Division of Middleware Engineering in Parkersburg, WV or Kansas City, MO. The primary responsibility for this position is the application of the principles of database management systems (DBMS) administration to design, install, configure, secure, develop, test, and evaluate DBMS for the purpose of testing, troubleshooting, maintenance, recovery, installation, upgrade, integration or configuration of applications within Fiscal Service’s IT infrastructure.
- One-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
DUTIES:Back to top
As an IT Specialist (SYSADMIN) (DBMS Administrator), you will:
- Provide database administration for all Fiscal Service supported databases to include backup, recovery, reorganization, indexing, adhoc data modification, database structure modification, and database monitoring.
- Design (or lead a team in the design of) the physical database for the overall Fiscal Service database effort. Responsible for project scheduling, testing, and reporting.
- Provide technical guidance to applications programmers in the use of the mainframe and client/server database management system (DBMS) languages and procedures. Develop and conduct training programs in the database area.
- Design, test, and implement software to interface existing applications with the database(s). Advise applications systems developers on how to use database management software.
- Provide 24 hour a day, 7 days a week problems solving response. Provide immediate response for on-line system problems during prime shift. Provide technical expertise to solve mainframe and client/server platform problems. Work with customers, application programmers, and technical support personnel in problem determination and resolution.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Specialized Experience: For the GS-12, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-11grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes experience monitoring, supporting, tuning and troubleshooting a database management system in either a mainframe or distributed environment as a database administrator.
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application includes your: 1. Resume, 2. Responses to the online questions, and 3. Required supporting documents. We use a multi-step process to evaluate and refer applicants:
1. Minimum Requirements: Your application must show that you meet all requirements, including the education and/or experience required for this position. You may be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position. If your application is incomplete, we may rate you as ineligible.
2. Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Technical, Leadership, Analysis, Oral Communication, and Written Communication. We may lower your rating if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three categories, Superior, Good, or Satisfactory, depending on your experience and education related to this position. Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
3. Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration and possible interview. If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)), you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on the announcement's closing date. Treasury provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
If you are experiencing system issues with your application, please contact the CareerConnector Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or the USAJobs Help Desk. Step 1 - Create or Upload a resume with USAJOBS (www.usajobs.gov) - We suggest you go to the end of the Qualifications & Evaluation section of the job announcement to preview the online questions that you will answer in Step 3. You may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. For more resume tips click here. - You may create a resume in USAJOBS or upload one of your own choosing. Although you must enter your Social Security Number (SSN) for USAJOBS, we will only see the last four digits for identification purposes.
Step 2 - Apply Online Click the "Apply Online" link of this announcement and then select the resume you wish to submit with your application. You will be redirected to the Department of the Treasury's CareerConnector website to complete the application process.
Step 3 - Answer the Online Questions and Submit Your Online Application If this is your first time on Treasury's CareerConnector website, you will be prompted to register by answering questions related to your eligibility for Federal employment. The system will save these responses and take you back to the main screen so that you can answer the job-specific questions. Select "Take me to the assessment" and click on the "Continue" button to answer the job-specific questions. You must answer all the questions and click the "Finished" button.
Step 4 - Review and Confirm Your Submission You will now have the option to upload a document or print fax cover-sheets for your required documents (see step 5 for details). Once you click "Done," you will see a summary of your application for your review. You may also print a copy for your records. When you click "Finished" at the bottom of the page, you will then be directed back to USAJOBS where you can confirm that your application has been submitted and track your application status.
Step 5 - Submit Required Documents You can submit any required documents (discussed below) by document upload or fax. Whichever method you choose, please include the job announcement number with your documents. To protect your privacy, we encourage you to remove your SSN from any documents that you submit. Document Upload: You may upload supporting documents in one of two ways: 1. Once you finish answering the questions in the job announcement, you will be prompted to upload your document(s) to your application. You will be given the choice to either upload the document as part of the application process or you can select a document that you've already loaded on USAJOBS. or 2. You can upload a document to an existing application by logging into your USAJOBS account profile. Click on "My Applications" and search for the vacancy. Once you've located the vacancy, click on the vacancy and select "Apply Online." Move through your existing application to the Documents page and select Upload in order to add a document to your application. Be certain to review your complete application for confirmation that the document uploaded. In the Application Review section, you may verify acceptance of your documents in CareerConnector if you see them listed on the "Vacancy Documents" screen. Then, click on "Finished" to be returned to USAJOBS. Fax: Create a fax cover-sheet in CareerConnector by following the "Faxing Supporting Documentation" instructions. The fax number will be on the cover-sheet.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
ALL APPLICANTS: All applicants are required to submit a resume.
CTAP/ICTAP DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee eligible for consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must submit proof of eligibility. For a detailed list of documents, click here
. VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD-214 (Member 4 copy), or other official documentation from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Department of Veterans Affairs showing dates of service and type of discharge. Ten-point preference eligibles must also submit an Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, SF-15, along with required documentation listed on the back of the SF-15 form. An SF-15 may be found at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf
. For more information on veterans' preference click here
. Recommended Documents: In addition, we recommend that you submit the following:
- A performance appraisal.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS "My Account" tab and clicking on "Application Status." Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate, or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.