About the Agency
The Bureau of the Fiscal Service promotes the financial integrity and operational efficiency of the U.S. government through exceptional accounting, borrowing, collections, payments, and shared services. This position is located in the CIO Information and Security Services, Division of Middleware Engineering in Parkersburg, WV or Kansas City, MO. The primary responsibility for this position is the application of the principles of database management systems (DBMS) administration to design, install, configure, secure, develop, test, and evaluate DBMS for the purpose of testing, troubleshooting, maintenance, recovery, installation, upgrade, integration or configuration of applications within Fiscal Service’s IT infrastructure.
Who May Apply:
1. Current Federal employees on career or career-conditional (permanent) appointments in the competitive service, or former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility; or
2. CTAP/ICTAP eligibles from the local commuting area; or
3. Individuals eligible under special hiring authorities (e.g., individuals with disabilities, covered by an interchange agreement, or eligible for the Veterans Recruitment Appointment); OR
4. Individuals, no matter where you reside, who are eligible for appointment under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act.
As an IT Specialist (SYSADMIN) (DBMS Administrator), you will:
- Provide database administration for all Fiscal Service supported databases to include backup, recovery, reorganization, indexing, adhoc data modification, database structure modification, and database monitoring.
- Design (or lead a team in the design of) the physical database for the overall Fiscal Service database effort. Responsible for project scheduling, testing, and reporting.
- Provide technical guidance to applications programmers in the use of the mainframe and client/server database management system (DBMS) languages and procedures. Develop and conduct training programs in the database area.
- Design, test, and implement software to interface existing applications with the database(s). Advise applications systems developers on how to use database management software.
- Provide 24 hour a day, 7 days a week problems solving response. Provide immediate response for on-line system problems during prime shift. Provide technical expertise to solve mainframe and client/server platform problems. Work with customers, application programmers, and technical support personnel in problem determination and resolution.