Job Title: Supervisory Dairy Market ReporterJob Announcement Number: 24DY-2014-0001
Department: Department Of Agriculture
Agency: Agricultural Marketing Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Tuesday, December 10, 2013 to
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
WHO MAY APPLY:
This announcement is open to all United States citizens. (Current and Former Federal employees may also apply to Merit Promotion announcement #6DY-2014-0003.)
The Market Information Branch provides timely, accurate, comprehensive market information on milk and dairy products to enhance market transparency in the dairy industry. This market transparency provides all segments of the industry from producers to consumers with information on current conditions and trends of the market supplies, movements, distribution, demand, prices, and other technical information which serves to promote the orderly and equitable production and marketing of milk and dairy products.
The Branch formulates and administers programs relating to a national market reporting service for dairy products and the development and dissemination of specialized marketing information and statistics for the Federal milk order programs. The Branch also provides assigned statistical and economic services for the Program and provides essential information basic to the effective planning and administering of other Departmental and government programs.
The incumbent directs, administers, and carries out programs and functions delegated to theMadison office and as such serves as the National Supervisor for Dairy Market News.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity.
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- The incumbent is responsible for the Dairy Market News program and functions which are designed to provide highly technical and complicated milk marketing information to the industry, consumers, other government agencies, and interested individuals and groups.
- Non-Supervisory Duties - Dairy Market News Policy and Program Formulation: Advises on the formulation of operational policy in the administration of both voluntary and mandatory nationwide market news reporting service on milk and dairy products.
- Program Planning: Within the general limits of overall national policy for market news coordinates collection and dissemination of accurate daily, weekly, monthly, periodic, and annual reports on marketing milk and dairy products.
- Producer, Industry, Governmental, and Public Relationships: Represents Market News, Dairy Programs, and the Agricultural Marketing Service in maintaining and developing working relationships with Federal and State agencies, producers, marketing and consumer groups for the purpose of collecting and disseminating market news information, obtaining policy and program recommendations, and promoting harmonious relationships and cooperation
- General Administration: Collaborates with Market Information Branch (Chief), Economics Division (Director), Dairy Programs (Deputy Administrator) in developing recommendations, and carrying out operations relating to budget, fiscal, personnel, organization, informational, and other administrative management services affecting the Dairy Market News program.
- Market News Reporting: Plans, directs, coordinates, and carries out technical and administrative operations for assigned regions of all phases of the market news functions. These functions include:
- Collects information relative to general and specific market conditions as reflected in supply, demand, price, quality, condition, and movement of milk and dairy products, including such factors as production, storage, receipts, and consumption.
- Analyzes and verifies market data (obtained through industry contact) to evaluate accuracy and market coverage. Studies daily and seasonal marketing conditions as well as other marketing areas in order to analyze and evaluate the significance of collected data.
- Recommends new reports, the termination of existing reports, and new reporting methods, procedures, and techniques to the National Supervisor as changes in marketing patterns and practices develop.
- Prepares and disseminates assigned daily, weekly, monthly, annual, and special market reports covering sales at multiple levels of the supply chain, including prices and volumes traded, general market conditions, and other information and statistics that may be of interest to the dairy industry.
- Maintains active public relations with commercial news media for the dissemination of market news. Prepares talks and participates in various types of group meetings relative to market news, including members of the industry, associations, education fields, and others interested in marketing.
- Collaborates with Market Information Branch, in continuation of operation during times of emergency, and carrying out operations relating to mandatory reporting and Federal order information services affecting the Market News program.
- Supervisory Duties - Dairy Market News Program: Directs the Dairy Market News Service, in collection, analysis and dissemination of milk and dairy products to promote the efficient marketing throughout the industry.
- Directs and coordinates the collection of both voluntary and mandatory information from the trade and other sources pertaining to supply, demand, prices, trends and other market information on dairy products.
- The incumbent provides administrative and technical supervision to the dairy market reporters and clerical staff assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the experience requirements specified below.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-12 and GS-13 GRADE LEVELS:
Applicants must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal service. This experience is typically in, or related to, the work of the position being filled and must have equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below.
Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
There is no education substitution for the GS-12 and GS-13 grade levels.
- Directs, reviews, and coordinates the activities of a Dairy Market News program.
- Collects, analyzes and disseminates milk and dairy products to promote efficient marketing throughout the industry.
- Reviews and evaluates operating procedures to determine the effectiveness or deficiencies and recommends effective methods of performance to determine desirable changes in programs or operations.
- Directs, administers, and carries out programs and functions delegated to a Market News program.
For more information on OPM Qualifications, visit: OPM Qualification Standards
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- If you are appointed to a supervisory or managerial position, you may be required to complete a one year supervisory/managerial probationary period.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period.
- In accordance with Office of Government Ethics regulations concerning conflict of interest, the incumbent of this position will be required to submit a financial disclosure report within 30 days of their effective date of appointment and annually thereafter.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Supervisory Competency
- General knowledge of agricultural commodity markets and marketing practices
- Ability to collect, analyze and evaluate data in order to provide factual, unbiased, timely information on supply, demand, price, movement and trade conditions pertaining to agricultural commodities
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, meet deadlines and adapt to changing work locations and environments
- Ability to use information technology to compile, track, analyze and report agricultural commodity data and news
- Oral Communication Ability
- Written Communication Ability
- Ability to instruct, lead and supervise other and manage an agriculture program office or marketing organization
- Knowledge of the methods, principles, techniques and requirements pertaining to the reporting of market news covering dairy products
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligible will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.