All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement, Thursday, January 16, 2014. Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualification Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. Available for review on OPM's website at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications. Applicants must have one year of full-time specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 grade level, or four years of college study leading to a bachelor's degree with major study as identified below, or an equivalent combination of the two as well as the selective factors as described in the Occupational Assessment Questionnaire by the closing date of the announcement in order to be considered .
Specialized Experience: is work performing one or more aspects of field based natural resource management such as: implements established natural resource management projects; following instructions and standardized procedures, collects and organizes field data. Ensures adequate quality control of data collected. Performs routine and recurring testing of collected samples, recording all data collected and provides preliminary assessment and classification of the information. Evaluates observed conditions and problems, and makes preliminary determinations on the cause of problems noted. Assists in the preparation of reports, plans and guidelines. Draft project reports may include literature research, descriptions of methods, preparation of graphs and charts, and summary of findings.
Examples of qualifying specialized experience may include:
Nursery work that required the growing and maintenance of plants in a controlled environment.
Work comparable to that with a large dairy farm where production records, animal environment and sanitary conditions were kept in accordance with modern dairy practice. Farming experience that was not performed in a controlled environment, or experience as a laborer who was not responsible for planning and scheduling their own work, but only performed assigned tasks, would not qualify as specialized experience.
Education: Successful completion of a full four-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with major study or at least 24 semester hours in any combination of scientific or technical courses such as: biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture, or mathematics. At least six semester hours of these courses must have been directly related to the position to be filled. You must include transcripts and show this on your transcripts.
Combination of Education and Experience: You also qualify at this grade level if you have less than the full amount of education or experience listed above but have an equivalent combination of the education and experience specified when combined totals 100%.
QUALIFICATIONS: You must possess the qualifying specialized experience and/or education as well as selective factors as described in the occupational/assessment questionnaire. Your application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
EDUCATION: To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Applicants can verify accreditation HERE . Transcripts do not need to be official but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify then you will need to provide official transcripts before you enter on duty. You can receive credit for education received outside the United States if you provide evidence that it is comparable to an accredited education institution in the United States when you apply.
1. Resume must include: full legal name, education, related work experience including month, year and hours worked per week.
2. Probationary Period: Upon appointment to this position, you may be required to serve a one-year probationary period or a two-year period, depending on the authority under which you are appointed.
3. Department of the Interior employees must identify a financial institution for direct deposit of net pay.
4. If you are a current or former Federal employee you must meet time-in-grade restrictions by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The rater will not make assumptions, guess or use personal knowledge about your experience or education in the rating process. The written information that you provide in your application to verify your responses to the Occupational Assessment Questionnaire will be used. Provide detailed evidence and descriptions of your experience, training, education, awards, hobbies, self-development achievements, pertinent unpaid or volunteer work, and any other aspect of your background as it relates to the position. It is important that you indicate the diversity, level of difficulty and complexity of your experience. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. Candidates will be ranked into three categories:
(1) Best Qualified-applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position.
(2) Well Qualified-applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job.
(3) Qualified-applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
You will be evaluated based upon the responses you provide on the job specific questionnaire that is required as part of the application process for this position. You will be rated based on your responses and assigned a score ranging from 70 to 100 points. The scores will be used to determine the best qualified candidates who will be referred for selection. Best qualified applications rated with a score of 95 or above will be referred to the selecting official. Additional names from the well qualified list may be added to the referral list if we do not receive enough best qualified candidates. If, after reviewing your resume or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Your resume must support your responses to the occupational questions. Your qualifications will be evaluated on and the Occupational Assessment Questionnaire was developed from the following Tasks:
- Identify herbaceous vegetation of the Black Hills and Northern Great Plains to the species level
- Identify overstory and shrub species of the Black Hills and Northern Great Plains to the species level
- Establish vegetation plots and measure forest attributes
- Work in a field situation under adverse or demanding conditions
- Work effectively while spending a great deal of time in close quarters with others on the field crew implementing natural resources projects