Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service. Become a part of our mission to unite the past, our cultures and our special places, to establish important connections to the present and build a rich and lasting legacy for future generations.
The National Park Services (NPS) Structural Fire Internship Program Provides students enrolled in a variety of Educational environments an opportunity to gain practical work experience that will argument academic training related to the duties of a Fire Protection Specialist. The program is a component of National Park Service Pathways Internship Program. Under the Structural Fire Internship program, Interns will help parks establish structural fire protection codes and standards, and gain practical experience while supporting park efforts to establish and maintain an effective structural fire prevention program reducing the risks of death, injury and lost buildings due to the effect of structural fires.
As a Fire Protection Technician, you will be responsible for:
- Helping to develop a fire inspection program by identifying target hazard buildings.
- Developing evacuation plans.
- Working with park facilities management to develop an Inspection, Testing and Maintenance (ITM) plan for fire protection systems.
- Conducting training classes on portable fire extinguishers.
- Establishing a hydrant inspection and flow test program.
- Establishing a hot work permit program.
- Reviewing plans for construction and provide feedback to the Regional Structural Fire Manager.