About the Agency
You will serve as an Attorney Advisor and TIFIA Team Leader in the Office of Chief Counsel (HCC), Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). You will be responsible for providing advice and counsel to the Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) Joint Program Office (JPO) within the Office of Innovative Program Delivery (OIPD), on complex and difficult credit, surface transportation project finance, and legal matters involving multiple creditors under the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (U.S. DOT or Department) TIFIA Credit Program. You will also be responsible for leading the TIFIA Team within the Office of Chief Counsel, planning and assigning TIFIA work to team members, coordinating with the TIFIA Program Office and others, and serving as a coach and mentor to TIFIA team attorneys.
The ideal candidate has at least one year of legal experience leading attorneys working as a team on financial projects. The candidate has experience as a transactional attorney who has worked on numerous bond and bank financings with multiple creditors with a transaction value of at least $50 million each, is well versed in inter-creditor issues including bankruptcy and secured transactions, and has experience with subordinated debt and mezzanine finance structures. Transactional experience involving transportation user-based revenues is beneficial, as is experience working with Federal or State transportation agencies, municipal issuers, and bank entities, and previous experience working on TIFIA financing.
APPLICATION CUT-OFF: applications will be referred for potential interviews and selection after each cut-off date during the open period of this announcement. The first cut-off for applications is close of business December 19, 2013, 2nd cut-off is January 2, 2014, 3rd cut-off is January 16, 2014 and the final review will occur after the February 3, 2014 (closing date).
At the full performance level, the Attorney Advisor (Leader):
- Oversees the day-to-day delivery of legal services to the TIFIA Program, leading a team of attorneys, ensuring the services provided by internal and external TIFIA counsel are efficient and effective.
- Structures high value transactions (at least $50 million) for multi-modal surface transportation projects, including highways, transit, passenger bus and rail, eligible port facilities, and intermodal transfer facilities.
- Provides advice and counsel to the TIFIA Joint Program Office on TIFIA credit policy, sophisticated project financing and subordinated or mezzanine debt.
- Provides legal advice and expertise in the following areas as may be needed: debt financings, including tax-exempt and bank loan structures; contracts; concession agreements; bankruptcy and debt restructuring; secured transactions; and inter-creditor arrangements.
- Reviews, comments on, and drafts, as applicable, Federal Register notices, rulemakings, and statutory changes to TIFIA and other programs administered by the Office of Innovative Program.