About the Agency
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is located in the Dental Branch within the Division of Clinical Services at the Crownpoint Service Unit which is comprised of the Crownpoint Heatlhcare Facility, Pueblo Pintado Clinic and the Thoreau Clinic. Incumbent will be responsible for supervising, managing and directing the Dental Program and includes three separate clinics, a dental education program and a community outreach program. Dental services include preventive care, basic and advanced restorative procedures, oral surgery, endodontics, pediatric dentistry, peridontics, very limited prosthodontics and oral pathology. The Dental Program Chief provides leadership for all aspects of dental care and services and assuring top quality by adherence to recognized national standards and utilization of performance improvement process to evaluate, monitor and improve care. The Chief Dental Officer reports to the Clinical Director (CD).
- Responsible for overall assessment, planning, development, implementation and evaluation of all components of the dental program.
- Establishes and implements policies, program plans and organizational structures to meet the needs of the program and evaluates the program keeps pace with changes in healthcare.
- Evaluates and directs all aspects of business office functions through subordinates supervisors including procedures coding and billing to maximize collection rates for dental program.
- Supervises directly or indirectly professional dentists, clinical specialists, surgeons, assistants, and clerical support personnel.
- Performs a full range of professional duties in connection with the treatment of commonly encountered dental diseases and dental health problems requiring standard corrective, restorative and/or preventive measures.
- Occasional Travel
- Travel to surrounding satellite clinics.