In order to be qualified for this position, you must meet the basic requirement for the series for which you are applying.
For the Engineering positions, you must possess one of the following:
A. Have successfully completed a four year course of study leading to a Bachelor's or higher degree in professional engineering from a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum. - OR -
B. Have successfully completed a four year course of study leading a Bachelor's degree in professional engineering that included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. - OR -
C. Possess a current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. - OR -
D. Have passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, and in addition, have a combination of education in the field of general engineering and professional engineering experience which totals at least four years. - OR -
E. Have completed at least 60 semester hours of course work in the physical, mathematical and engineering sciences. This course work included differential and integral calculus, as well as courses in at least five of the seven areas listed in response (B). Also, you must have professional general engineering experience which, when combined with your education as described above, totals at least four years. - OR -
F. Have Bachelor's or higher degree in engineering technology, chemistry, physics, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, geology, or another scientific field directly related to engineering. In addition, have at least one year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.
In addition, all applicants must possess one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service, analyzing scientific data submitted by other scientists/researchers to provide feedback or advice on methods/procedures utilized; conducting research or briefings on the classification and scientific review of medical device products or other scientific systems/designs; modifying existing guidelines and protocols for scientific testing of medical device products or other scientific systems and designs; and providing information to researchers or scientists on guidelines, scientific, or regulatory requirements related to research on scientific products.
This position requires specific coursework and/or a degree to meet the basic education requirement. You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned.Your transcript(s) must clearly demonstrate the course(s) listed in the qualification requirement section. If the transcript(s) does not clearly demonstrate this you must submit a copy of the course description and/or other documentation demonstrating that the courses are equivalent. Degree requirements must be met within 30 days of the closing date of this job announcement and your transcript(s) submitted must reflect this.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education
All qualification requirements, other than education, must be met by 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement. Degree requirements must be met within 30 days of the close of the announcement.
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the best-qualified applications will be conducted. The résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against the applicant's responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if the applicant is qualified for this job. If, after reviewing the applicant's résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that the applicant has inflated his/her qualifications and/or experience, the applicant may lose consideration for this position and/or the applicant's score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect his/her skills and abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
For Competitive Applicants/All U.S. Citizens: Eligible candidates will be assigned to a quality category: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. Candidates in the highest category will be referred to the hiring agency. The Category Rating process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-09 level or higher.)
Your qualifications will be evaluated against the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics):
- Technical Knowledge - Medical Device Evaluation
- Problem Solving
- Written Communication
- Oral Communication