Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 1006883
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?1006883This position is being filled under the Pathways Internship Program.
The program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore Federal careers while still in school. The Internship provides manager's a ready source of student employees and potential permanent employees upon completion of the program requirements. It also provides the student with work experience directly related to the curriculum studies or career goals while offering eligibility for non-competitive conversion to permanent employment upon completion. For more information on Internship opportunities within the Department of Veterans Affairs, please visit http://MyCareeratVA.va.gov/CareerPath/Internships
As a training employee, rotates duties in several units such as cafeteria, nourishment unit, salad unit, main kitchen, dining room, vegetable preparation area, and dish washing area. Performs a combination of the following duties under close supervision until routines are learned adequately:
- Work in the dish room, scrapes trays and washes dishes;
- Operate the dish machine;
- Wash pots and pans and operates the utensil washer;
- Assist with preparation of trays, delivers trays to patient bed sides, picks up and returns them to the kitchen after meals;
- Assist with portioning nourishment and delivers nourishment to patients
- In dining rooms, assists with trays or table service to patients seated at tables and assists those needing help;
- Clean fruits and vegetables in preparation for salads, desserts or for cooking;
- Receive training under close supervision in performing duties as assigned to FSW WG-2 to include: making toast, salad, etc.
- Observe and learn to serve patients, beneficiaries and/or other meal recipients on cafeteria lines-dishing up salads and desserts;
- Serve modified diets under very close supervision on tray and cafeteria lines and learn menu reading;
- Assist with the clean up of any area assigned to;
- Sweep and mop food service preparation areas;
- Special cleaning of equipment;
- Deliver supplies;
- Haul trash;
- Attend training classes as scheduled including those sponsored by Nutrition and Food Service or the Medical Center;
- Give attention to on-the-job training provided for assigned duties
Work Schedule: rotating shifts to be determined; 15 hours per week
Position Description Title/PD#: Student Trainee (Food Service Worker) PD#08706-TA
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.