*NOTE: APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT ALL APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS LISTED IN THE "REQUIRED DOCUMENTS" SECTION AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT OR YOU WILL BE RATED AS INELIGIBLE DUE TO NOT SUBMITTING A COMLETE APPLICATION PACKAGE.*
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's
promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his
widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are
would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
VHA provides patient centered care,
delivered by engaged, collaborative teams in an integrated environment that
supports learning and continuous improvement. The Veterans experience and
health outcomes are improved with an emphasis on prevention through healing
relationships in an optimal healing environment.
seeking physicians interested in working in this environment. We are looking
for physicians who possess a strong work ethic, integrity, professionalism and
empathy, and who enjoy working for a collaborative, team-oriented system. We
invite you to apply to become part of a team of professionals engaged in
promoting positive organizational change to improve outcomes and create a
positive healthcare experience for patients, families, and caregivers.
The benefits of
practicing as a VA physician are many. In addition to practicing in a
team-based clinical setting of the most technologically advanced, integrated
health care system in the Nation, the VA offers opportunities to practice in a
way that also balances work and home life. The VA offers generous paid time off
and opportunities to develop your talents and potential through life-long
learning. For more information on the Department of
Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/.
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be
considered by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in
determining the salary of the applicant selected.
Relocation expenses (PCS) are not authorized
for this position. A Recruitment or Relocation Incentive will not be offered.
Medicine Service of the VA San Diego Healthcare System (VASDHS) is seeking a
Physician for our Gastroenterology Section. Incumbent must be
Board Certified/Eligible in Gastroenterology and must meet requirements to
obtain and maintain academic appointment with our affiliate university,
University of California San Diego (UCSD).
Specific duties required of the Gastroenterologist include, but are not
- Admit, evaluate, diagnose, treat, and
provide consultation to patients of all ages, with diseases, injuries, and
disorders of the digestive organs, including the stomach, bowels, liver, and
gallbladder and related structures, such as the esophagus and pancreas,
including the use of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures using endoscopes to
see internal organs.
- Provide care to patients in the
intensive care setting in conformance with unit policies.
- Assess, stabilize, and determine disposition of patients with
emergent conditions consistent with medical staff policy regarding emergency
and consultative call services.
- Assist in the consultation and follow-up of patients admitted to the facility. He/She will review medications, participate in patient education, and coordinate with other services in the medical center as needed.
- Provide assistance to the Gastroenterology Section Chief with regard to other duties that may be requested. These may include, but not be limited to, assisting in data assimilation for VA reports,quality assurance programs, or others as determined by the Gastroenterology Section Chief.
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served by the Gastroenterology Section. The individual must demonstrate the knowledge of the changes associated with aging and possess the ability to provide care based upon physical, psycho/social, cultural, safety and other age related factors as noted in the competencies described in departmental and/or unit specific policies and procedures.
will be part of a healthcare team consisting of Physician, Registered Nurse,
LVN, Pharmacist, Social Worker, and clerical staff providing Internal Medicine
services, stressing health maintenance and preventative medicine. Serves
veterans in San Diego and Imperial Counties. Refers for specialty services to
the VA Hospital services for over 45,000 Veteran patients.
WORK SCHEDULE: Part-time, 40 hours per pay period, 20 hours per week. Overtime may be required
as needed for patient care.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Physician: The physical requirements of this position include the
following tasks which may be performed intermittently: Moderate
Lifting (10-44lbs); Moderate Carrying (10-44lbs); Reaching above shoulder; Use
of fingers; Bending/stooping; Twisting; Both hands required; Walking (up to
6hours); Standing (up to 2 hours); Both legs required; Near vision correctable
at 13 to 16 to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and
20/40/ in the other; Both eyes required; Hearing aid permitted; Mental and
Emotional Stability required.