This position may be filled in either of the below series (A-B). Each series requires applicants to meet Basic Requirements in addition to at least one year of specialized experience in order to be found minimally qualified. You MUST meet one of the following basic requirements:
A. Ecology Series (0440)
Degree: biology, or a related field of science underlying ecological research that included at least 30 semester hours in basic and applied biological sciences. These hours must have included at least 9 semester hours in ecology, and 12 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences.
B. Rangeland Management Series (0454)
Degree: range management; or a related discipline that included at least 42 semester hours in a combination of the plant, animal, and soil sciences, and natural resources management, as follows:
- Range Management -- At least 18 semester hours of course work in range management, including courses in such areas as basic principles of range management, range plants, range ecology, range inventories and studies, range improvements, and ranch or rangeland planning.
- Directly Related Plant, Animal, and Soil Sciences -- At least 15 semester hours of directly related courses in the plant, animal, and soil sciences, including at least one course in each of these three scientific areas, i.e., plant, animal, and soil sciences. Courses in such areas as plant taxonomy, plant physiology, plant ecology, animal nutrition, livestock production, and soil morphology or soil classification are acceptable.
- Related Resource Management Studies -- At least 9 semester hours of course work in related resource management subjects, including courses in such areas as wildlife management, watershed management, natural resource or agricultural economics, forestry, agronomy, forages, and outdoor recreation management.
Combination of education and experience: at least 42 semester hours of course work in the combination of plant, animal, and soil sciences and natural resources management shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements described above, applicants must also meet additional qualifications as stated below.
GS-12: Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal Government or possess a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or possess an equivalent combination of graduate level education and experience. Graduate education must be directly related to the work of the position and must have equipped applicants with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. The specialized experience requirements for the GS-12 level of this position are:
1. Knowledge of applied research in range management, landscape ecology, and watershed management, with an emphasis on assessing and predicting impacts of natural events (such as wildfire or drought) and management interactions on rangeland ecosystem processes.
2. Skill in developing a comprehensive research program that facilitates use of livestock in landscape/watershed scale Great Basin rangeland rehabilitation projects impacted by fire and invasive plants.
3. Skill in conducting research on the rehabilitation of rangelands impacted by invasive plants (e.g., exotic annual grasses, pinyon pine and juniper) and wildfire in order to assess the economic, environmental, and ecological benefits of conservation/management actions
4. Ability to conceive, plan, conduct and report original independent research in peer reviewed journals and make presentations at scientific meetings on rangeland rehabilitation and re-vegetation topics.
GS-13: Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal Government.
Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. In addition to the specialized experience requirements outlined above for the GS-12 level, the specialized experience requirements for the GS-13 level of this position also includes:
5. Ability to develop revegetation methodologies to prevent the invasion of annual grasses (such as cheatgrass, medusahead rye, or red brome) following destructive events (e.g., fire) in Great Basin rangeland ecosystems.
GS-14: Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal Government.
Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. In addition to the specialized experience requirements outlined above for the GS-12/13 levels, the specialized experience requirements for the GS-14 level of this position also includes:
6. Skill in developing a comprehensive watershed assessment research program that quantifies wildfire and invasive weeds impact on hydrologic processes (e.g., runoff, ground water recharge, soil erosion, and salinity transport) at the landscape/watershed scale for Great Basin rangeland rehabilitation projects.
Applicants must address the specialized experience requirements in their resume (or application documents). Applications that do not reflect the specialized experience requirements will not be deemed qualified.
To be considered for a research scientist position, you must submit a one-page abstract of your MS thesis and/or Ph.D. dissertation. Also, submit a list of names, addresses, and phone numbers of persons familiar with your stature, contributions, recognition; any honors or awards received; memberships in professional or honor societies; invitations to make presentations at scientific/technical meetings; scientific society office and committee assignments; presentations (other than invitation); and publications.
Vacant research positions may be filled at one of several grade levels depending upon the scientific impact of the person selected. A peer review may be required to determine the appropriate grade level of the position and supplemental materials may be required from the selectee.
Research scientists have open-ended promotion potential. Research accomplishments and their impact on the duties and responsibilities of positions are evaluated periodically. The grade level is limited only by the individual's demonstrated ability to perform research of recognized importance to science and technology. *Final grade level may be determined by a peer review panel.
This position has a positive education requirement. You must submit a copy of your academic transcripts OR a list of college courses with credit hours, dates completed, and grade point average or class ranking to verify education when applying for this position. If this information is not provided, your education may not be appropriately evaluated and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are selected for this position, you will have to provide an official copy of your transcripts prior to entering on duty.
Graduate education must be directly related to the work of the position and must have equipped you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
Education completed outside of the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in conventional/accredited U.S. education programs to be acceptable for Federal employment. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Please visit the Office of Personnel Management's website for additional information on this topic.
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Applicants must be available to report for duty at the time a selection is made. Selections are typically made within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the basic and any additional requirements. The Agricultural Research Service uses a category rating process. Based on evaluation of all written materials submitted in your application for the position, you will be determined to be Ineligible if you do not meet eligibility and/or minimum qualifications criteria; Eligible if you meet all eligibility and minimum qualifications criteria; OR Quality if you meet quality criteria in addition to eligibility and minimum qualifications criteria.