About the Agency
This standing register will close on October 23, 2014.
These positions will be located with the National Weather Service, Alaska Region, Weather Service Office. This is an open continuous vacancy which will expire on November 21, 2014. Applications will be evaluated periodically during the open period and qualified candidates referred to selecting officials as vacancies occur in the following locations: Annette, Barrow, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Salmon, Kodiak, Kotzebue, McGrath, Nome, St. Paul Island, Valdez and/or Yakutat, AK.
Salary ranges: GS-5: $34,204-$44,461 GS-6: $38,126-$49,562 GS-7: $42,368-$55,083 GS-8: $46,922-$60,995 GS-9: $51,825-$67,368 GS-10: $57,072-$74,197
Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) for Alaska is 7.18% of the locality salary, and is not federally taxed. The COLA is not reflected in the locality salaries shown in this vacancy announcement. At the time of this announcement the cost-of-living allowance for employees in nonforeign areas remain at the 2012 levels.
These positions are also being advertised under announcement number NWS-AR-2014-0004, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for each announcement.
- Payment of relocation expenses is authorized.
- A one-year probationary period may be required.
- This is a bargaining position.
- Shift work is required.
- Most Alaska region Weather Service Offices (WSO's) are in remote and/or isolated locations and have limited transportation access and amenities.
- Government Housing is a condition of employment; however, there is NO housing available at the Kodiak, AK location.
- No more than one pet is permitted in Government Housing.
- No dogs are permitted on St. Paul Island.
- With relocation, no more than one vehicle may be shipped and the shipping cost may not exceed vehicle value.
*This vacancy may be used to fill other (Meteorological Technician, GS-1341-5/10) positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement.
The individual selected for the position will:
- Participate in the complete data acquisition and public service programs at the station. The programs can consist of: upper air, augmentation, editing and backup of the Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS), daily climatological measurements, marine and/or hydrologic observations where applicable.
- Prepare and disseminate Short Term Forecasts and warnings.
- Prepare and conduct weather briefings to aviation, marine and public users via the telephone, radio or in person.
- Collect and disseminate marine weather observations from vessels in Alaskan waters.