To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.You are qualifying for the position based on education.
You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
You are qualifying for this position based on Superior Academic Achievement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
GS-5: Four-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree.
GS-7: One full year of graduate level education in a related field of study, such as agriculture, mathematics, engineering, science, business, or economics;
Superior Academic Achievement: To qualify based on superior academic achievement, you must have completed the requirements for a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution AND must meet certain GPA requirements. For more details click: Superior Academic Achievement
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: TranscriptsGENERAL EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-5 GRADE LEVEL:
Applicants must have three years of progressively responsible experience, one year of which was equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service (experience may have been obtained in private or public sectors), that demonstrates the ability to (1) analyze problems to identify significant factors, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions; (2) plan and organize work; and (3) communicate effectively orally and in writing. General experience may have been gained from quality assurance, food processing, some farm experience, and/or technical, administrative work. Experience must provide evidence of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the duties of this position and show decision making responsibilities. General clerical experience (typing, filing, routine processing, or other non-specialized repetitive tasks) is not creditable.SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-7 GRADE LEVEL:
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors.Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-5 and GS-7 GRADE LEVELS:
- Specialized experience is that which has been gained in production, quality control, inspection (if such experience involves quality determination), research or receiving of agricultural commodities which involves making quality determinations using an applicable grading standard. Experience may have been gained in chain stores, military, or manufacturing.
Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Administrative and Management Positions
Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
Subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period.
Selectee will be required to complete a self-certification medical statement.
Selectee will be required to sign a statement at the time of appointment indicating willingness to accept a reassignment to other geographical locations throughout the United States.
Commodity grading work requires periods of physical exertion to lift and move boxes and cartons of product often weighing at least 50 pounds; prolonged standing, walking, stooping, bending and climbing; physical coordination and finger dexterity in at least one hand for poultry grading assignments, and two hands for shell egg assignments to perform digital examinations of eggs; ability to detect abnormalities in the commodity through normal or corrected vision in at least one eye for distance, depth perception, and color; the ability to assure safety in a highly-mechanized and/or noisy environment through adequate or correctable hearing; and the ability to determine product quality through smell.
The work environment is in a poultry shell plant and involves moderate discomforts and risks such as the cold temperatures and freezer storage areas, the presence of processing equipment, moving carts and forklifts, and wet slippery floors.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- General Commodity Inspection and Grading Skills
- Communication Skills
- Decision Making, Leadership, Supervisory and Project/Program Management
- Poultry Grading
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.