Job Title:Registered Nurse - Port Angeles Community Based Outpatient Clinic
Department:Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency:Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Job Announcement Number:VP-14-RET-999548
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, November 20, 2013 to
Wednesday, December 04, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Port Angeles, WA View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens |
|Public Trust - Background Investigation|
Port Angeles is located on The Olympic Peninsula. The community is the gateway to Olympic National Park, and home to Coho Ferry, the connection to Victoria BC. A temperate climate, rural lifestyle, fabulous recreation, a diverse business community, quality schools and college along with first class health care facilities allow Port Angeles to attract families and vacationers. These same attributes help make Port Angeles a top retirement destination.
With a reputation for excellence, innovation and extraordinary care of our Nation's heroes, VA Puget Sound strives to lead the nation in terms of quality, efficiency and public service through its proven record of innovation and extraordinary care of Veterans. As the primary referral site for VA's northwest region, VA Puget Sound provides care for Veteran populations encompassing Alaska, Montana, Idaho and Oregon. Since 1923, VA Puget Sound Health Care System has distinguished itself as a leader in teaching, research and patient care while earning prestigious recognition as part of the largest health care network in the country. We consider it our privilege to serve the health care needs of more than 80,000 Veterans living in the Pacific Northwest. In addition to two divisions located at American Lake (Lakewood), and Seattle, we offer services at community-based outpatient sites in Bremerton, Mount Vernon and Port Angeles.
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and step of the applicant selected.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
This is a bargaining unit position.
Work schedule: day shift clinic hours
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
DUTIES:Back to top
The Port Angeles Community Based Outpatient Clinic provides Primary Care, Mental Health services, nurse services, social work services and pharmacist medication reviews. The Registered Nurse is responsible for organizing and directing team members to achieve desirable patient outcomes through day-to-day and/or telephonic case management. The RN assists with the development, implementation, and monitoring/evaluation of comprehensive plans of care to ensure efficient, effective, and coordinated care in meeting and promoting standards of wellness. S/he coordinates an interdisciplinary approach to assure physical, psycho-social, and environmental needs and resource delivery to achieve patient goals. The RN relates in an open, friendly manner, shows interest in others, and initiates and develops interdisciplinary relationships for a broad spectrum of resources. S/he acts as an advocate seeking and coordinating solutions for self and members of the team. The RN adheres to established policies, standards of care, and standards of practice; demonstrates leadership when providing nursing care; and serves as a role model as a charge nurse. The Registered Nurse is also responsible and accountable for demonstrating the educational, experiential, and knowledge/ practice-based competency requirements outlined in the four dimensions.
- Ability to manage and deliver care for complex patient situations.
- Ability to effectively act as a care manager on a team level.
- Develop and/ or coordinate the initial care plan and update assessments on a continuum by recognizing changes in patient needs and reestablishing priorities for care.
- Include patient/family/significant other/health care provider in establishing realistic, measurable goals related to patient education and treatment plan, seeking assistance as needed.
- Implement nursing and physician orders in a timely and accurate manner for patients with complex nursing care needs.
- Assess the patient's response to nursing intervention, anticipate potential changes in patient condition and response to treatment, initiating appropriate discussion with the team and actively revising the care plan accordingly for therapeutic outcomes.
- Assess subtle changes in patient's condition that indicate an impending emergency and take appropriate action.
- Consider the cognitive, physical, emotional and chronological development of adult and geriatric patients while providing patient care.
- Administer medications safely following medical center policy and procedure.
- Safeguard confidential information.
- Recognize ethical problems and apply institutional policy in providing patient care. Act as a patient advocate when the patient's self determination is questioned.
- Make assignments that reflect optimum use of staff available to meet patient care needs appropriately.
- Assess patients to determine needs and make appropriate arrangement or referrals to provide for needs.
- Provide care to a group of patients through the use of safe and appropriate delegation assignment to other members of the health care team.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- 2 years successful nursing practice in a medical/surgical or ambulatory care setting
Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
The criteria are as follows:
Reference: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G6 Nurse Qualification Standard.
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: This position involves considerable amount of standing (up to 2 hours), walking (up to 6 hours), stooping, bending, reaching, lifting, and turning. It requires repositioning patients, assisting with transfers from wheelchairs/stretchers and transporting them to other departments or facilities. Mechanical devices are available and are required to be used for heavy or difficult to lift clients. The work may involve pushing or lifting in excess of 45 pounds and going up and down flights of stairs. The position requires visual (corrected to 20/30 or better with color discrimination) and auditory acuity at a level to provide safe and effective nursing care. The position requires the nurse to work for periods of time with arms above shoulder level or with neck in a fully flexed or extended position. The nurse may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia or psychiatric disorders. The nurse many be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent must possess sound and logical clinical judgment. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. The position also requires ability to work on computers for extended periods of time.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.