Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy will close at midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the stated closing date of the vacancy OR on the day that 250 applications are received, whichever occurs first. Only complete applications that include all supporting documents received prior to midnight EST on the closing date or the day the application limit is reached will be accepted. Therefore, you are strongly encouraged to submit all required supporting documents at the time of application. Supporting documents WILL NOT be accepted once the job opportunity announcement closes.
Building on a Tradition of Excellence and Meeting the Challenges of the Future The Secret Service is a premier law enforcement organization with two critical national security missions: protect our nation's leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence - whether investigating financial crime or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the Secret Service, we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity and courage. In the Secret Service, we:
- Protect the President, the Vice President, and other leaders; investigate threats against them; and safeguard their residences and other facilities
- Plan and implement security designs for National Special Security Events
- Investigate financial crimes including fraud, identity theft and computer-based attacks on banking or telecommunications infrastructure
Joining the Secret Service, Criminal Investigative Division, will allow you to draw on your technological expertise to maintain and modernize the U.S. Secret Service’s investigative information technology and communications infrastructure, as well as to enhance interoperability, information sharing, and collaboration capabilities. Apply for this exciting opportunity to impact mission critical support for investigative operations and the associated research and administrative functions of the Secret Service. This Computer Scientist position starts at a salary of $74,872 (GS-12, step 1), with potential to $115,742 (GS-13, step 10). For more information on the Secret Service click here.
The selectee will serve as a Computer Scientist in the Office of Investigations, Criminal Investigative Division. Typical work assignments include:
- Serving as technical advisor to various investigative programs providing expertise on computer science projects associated with the hardware and software development lifecycle; and assisting and assessing project plans for investigative digital systems.
- Modifying and adapting cyber investigative tools and technologies to recover, restore, and retrieve data files or other pertinent information from computer hardware and peripheral devices to support criminal investigators.
- Assisting, monitoring and conducting forensic analysis in support of criminal investigations; testing, implementing, deploying, maintaining, and administering hardware and software for mission related systems; monitoring network and actively remediating unauthorized activities.
- Collecting digital evidence from computers, flash drives and cellular devices; and processing, analyzing, preserving and presenting the digital evidence.