Basic Qualification Requirements for Behavioral Scientist, GS-0101:
A. Degree: behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
B. Have a combination of education and experience -- knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
C. Have four years of appropriate experience that demonstrated knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
Basic Qualification Requirements for Psychologist, GS-0180:
A. Have a major or equivalent in psychology.
In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirements described above, you must also meet the following:GS-12: Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience developing policies and objectives, appraising programs, and initiating requirements for studies related to behavioral characteristics, drug interactions, and the effects stimuli have on the nervous system as related to tobacco products.
GS-13: At least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience providing consultation and assistance regarding behavioral sciences and psychology methodologies and the application of finds; developing policies and objectives, appraising programs, and initiating requirements for studies related to behavioral characteristics, drug interactions, and the effects stimuli have on the nervous system as related to tobacco products and/or designing, planning, and initiating behavioral and/or psychological studies, surveys and investigations related to tobacco products.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. Financial disclosure statement will be required.
5. Travel and transportation expenses may be paid.
6. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
7. Drug Testing Required: No
8. Recruitment Bonus authorized: May be authorized.
9. Student Loan Repayment Incentive Authorized: May be authorized.
10. Certain positions within the FDA are subject to restrictions on financial holdings (FDA regulated financial holdings). To determine whether this position is affected, applicants are advised to seek additional information during the interview process from the Ethics and Integrity Staff, Office of Management Programs, Office of Management at (301) 796-8440 prior to accepting such a position.
11. Pre-employment Physical Required: No
12. License Required: No
13. Mobility Agreement Required: No
14. Immunization Required: No
15. Annual Leave for Non-Federal Service Authorized: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Basis of Rating:
Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the following quality categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
Best Qualified Applicants who have experience that is almost identical to those required by the position, including any quality ranking factors identified.
Well Qualified Applicants who have experience that is very similar to those required by the position.
Qualified Applicants who meet minimum qualification requirements, but do not identify any additional qualifying experience or skill.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately, but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
1. Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods using behavioral science and outcomes.
2. Skill in written communication.
3. Skill in oral communication.
4. Knowledge of evaluation methods and analytical techniques relating to behavioral science or psychology.