USDA provides leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, rural development, nutrition, and related issues based on sound public policy, the best available science, and efficient management. Our vision is to expand economic opportunity through innovation, helping rural America to thrive; to promote agriculture production sustainability that better nourishes Americans while also helping feed others throughout the world; and to preserve and conserve our Nation's natural resources through restored forests, improved watersheds, and healthy private working lands.
The Office of the General Counsel provides legal advice and services to all agencies of the United States Department of Agriculture in administering USDA programs and activities within the defined geographic area.
This position is located in the Kansas City Regional Office, Headquartes for the Central Region.
As a Legal Assistant, you will be responsible for the following:
- Examining, evaluating and routing requests for litigation from agencies of the Department.
- Providing technical advice to agencies when legal documents or instrument are not accurate or need further information.
- Preparing reports and tracks cases that are opened, closed, and pending.
- Maintaining the legal research material (library, files, databases) office files, guides and manuals.
- Providing clerical support for all other staff including typing, copying, scanning, assembling, transmitting, mailing, routing, reviewing, proofreading, correcting to recognize situations that may require special attention or remedial action.
- Preparing and types correspondence, documents, and reports involving the various cases.
- Greeting visitors and callers and helps them with routine matters; refer non-routine matters to appropriate supervisor, staff attorney, or other member of the support staff.