For consideration, applicants must meet the minimum qualification for attorney positions:
- Successful completion a full course of study in a school of law accredited by the America Bar Association (ABA) and have the first professional law degree (LLB or JD) (Law School transcript required) and
- Currently be a member in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
Bar Memebership: Applicant must currently be a member in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- If you are newly hired, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" system. Federal law requires the use of E-VERIFY to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. Under this system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
- Have your salary sent to financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Entrance on duty is contingent upon completion of a pre-employment security investigation. The position may require a Confidental, Secret, or Top Secret security clearance or be subject to a Public Trust background investigation at the time of appointment and on reinvestigations in a condition of employment.
- May be subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary or trial period.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
- Attorney positions are in the excepted service, not the competitive civil service. There is no formal rating system for applying veteran's preference to attorney appointments in the excepted service.
- However, if you are eligible for veteran's preference in hiring, you are encouraged to included that information in your application along with the supporting documentation,e.g., SF-15, DD-14, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other supporting documentation.
- You will be evaluated based on your qualification for this position as evidenced by the education, experience, and training you describe in your application package, as well as the responses to the Occupational Questionnaire to determine the degree to which you possess the knowledge, skill, abilities and competencies listed below:
1. Based on your qualifications for this position as evidenced by your academic credentials: law school ranking, class ranking, specialized training or experience related to the areas of law handled by the Office of General Counsel.
2. Ability to analyze data draw conclusion and recommend solutions/gather and compile data and informaiton.
3. Ability to negotiate.
4. Ability to analyze complex legal problems and make sound decisions.
5. Ability to communicate in writing.
6. Ability to communicate orally.
7. Knowledge of administrative law and procedures, and of litigation in Federal court and before administrative bodies.
8. Knowledge of relevant statutes and regulations.
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect the submitted documentation. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.
To view the application form, visit: https://sec.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=decadf09-120e-4dcb-a1ed-a2760110734d