"Since its founding in 1961, the US Agency for International Development (USAID) has invested in innovative, cost-effective solutions that save millions of lives..."
The US Agency for International Development (USAID) is a key partner in the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and works closely with other USG agencies on this initiative in more than 90 countries. USAID is also a key player in the Global Health Initiative, which seeks to shift the focus of USG assistance from Agency and disease-specific programs to a more integrated and synergistic approach across all aspects of Global Health.
This USAID position is located in the Bureau for Global Health, the Office of HIV and AIDS, Technical Leadership and Research Division (GH OHA TLR). As a Health Science Specialist you will play a key roll within a Division that is responsible for providing technical, research, and programmatic expertise to help the Agency and its Missions to develop strategies and programs that respond to USG, USAID and congressional compliance and budget priorities. You will provide technical expertise in all aspects of research including implementation sciences research, problem solving and development of best practices for HIV and AIDS programs in developing countries. You will work in collaboration with interdivisional teams promoting sustained HIV and AIDS programs in prevention, care and treatment, cross-sectoral work, including integrating HIV and AIDS specific applications with broader health sector approaches.
For more information on the Bureau for Global Health, please click on the following link: http://www.usaid.gov/who-we-are/organization/bureaus/bureau-global-health.
If you are interested in this position you are encouraged to read the entire vacancy announcement, and apply following the instructions listed under "How To Apply".
As a Health Science Specialist in GH OHA TLR, you will perform the following major duties:
- Develop policies, strategies, and plans for health science programs/projects for agency-wide application.
- Provide specialized expertise to USAID staff, Regional Offices and Missions in designing and monitoring policies, strategies, and programs in HIV and AIDS and related policy reforms and change management to enhance host country capacity for sustainable programs.
- Advise USAID Missions, Regional Offices and host-country governments on the most effective approaches to HIV and AIDS programs and articulate the benefits of interventions to effectively reach specific target audiences.
- Provide technical and managerial guidance for worldwide research including implementation sciences research to promote long term sustainable change. Coordinate the incorporation of research findings into implementable interventions within the sector.
- Serve as a liaison between USAID and other USG agencies involved in HIV and AIDS programs in developing countries. Attend conferences and meetings, for the purpose of professional and scientific interchange; establish and maintain effective working relationships with professional colleagues and institutions.
- Analyze, design, implement, and evaluate and monitor policy reform and change management, and institution capacity building for countries, sub-regions, and the region as a whole, that focus on key Agency priority areas within the HIV AND AIDS context and the broader health science arena.