In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: Experience and knowledge of law enforcement work in the preservation of the peace; the prevention, detection, and investigation of crimes; the arrest or apprehension of violators; and the provision of assistance to citizens in emergency situations, including the protection of civil rights.
This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service GS-07.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Ability to Analyze the Federal and State Judicial Systems, Law Enforcement Rules and Regulations
- Ability to manage, supervise, train and review the work of subordinates
- Skill in work planning and organizational Operations
- Ability to perform work assignment and review
- Ability to Arrest and Detain
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the GS-07 grade (or equivalent).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- This is a Drug Testing position and is subject to periodic and random drug testing.
- Required to perform and pass semi-annual qualification testing with firearms (pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc), and observe applicable safety precautions, as required
- Required to obtain and maintain current certifications of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) techniques and first aid.
- Must be qualified and certified in the use of chemical aerosol irritants, TASER, radar guns, breath alcohol analysis instruments, and other tasks determined by OPMG, USAMPS, State of Georgia, or Directorate of Emergency Services.
- The Lautenberg Act is applicable for this position. You must be able to pass a Criminal History Background Check. Candidates with conviction of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence are not eligible for this position. Candidates under consideration will be required to certify whether they have ever been convicted of such an offense. False or fraudulent information provided by candidates is criminally punishable by fine or imprisonment.
- This position requires meeting requirements for the Individual Reliability and Suitability Program, such as maintain high standards of conduct on and off duty.
- This position requires you to work rotating shifts and other than normal duty hours, to include, evening, weekends, and holidays and overtime.
- This position requires you to wear a uniform and may required you to use protective clothing or gear such as masks, gowns, coats, boots, goggles, gloves, shields, body armor, and maintain a high state of appearance and hygiene.
- This position requires that you be able to pass an annual Physical Agility Test (PAT).
- This position requires you to possess and maintain a valid state drivers license and obtain and maintain local government driver's license.
- TDY may be required up to 10% of the time for Academy Attendance or Police related missions (i.e. AWOL Apprehension, etc).
- Work may require flying on a military aircraft for Academy Attendance or Police related missions.
- Must be able to act in the capacity of a first responder to critical incidents, including but not limited to: criminal acts, natural disasters, lost or missing persons, mass casualties, and/or acts of terror or mass destruction. This includes active participation in training and exercises designed to determine the readiness of responding forces or the effectiveness of protective measures and programs.
- This position requires that you execute lawful orders during actual emergencies/critical incidents without prior notice for extended periods of time. Even if performed properly you may be placed in danger of severe personal injury, loss of limb, or even death.
- Must carry an assigned duty weapon and have the capability of rationally applying the continuum of force; and use deadly force if necessary.
- This position requires that you successfully complete a Police Officer Field Training Program within one year (12 months).
- This position requires that you be subject to recalled in emergency situations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- During non-duty hours/days, you may be required to report as a member of an emergency response force during actual or simulated accident/incident.
- This position is designated as Mission Essential position during Inclement Weather Conditions or other designated/identified emergency conditions. In the event of a crisis situation or inclement weather, the incumbent must continue to perform the duties until relieved by proper authority. Incumbent will report for duty during designated inclement weather conditions.
- Must be able to successfully graduate from a United States Army Military Police School accredited Civilian Police or Security Guard Course, unless waived, within one year (12 months).
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a SECRET security clearance
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.