Find Solutions to Agricultural Problems that Affect Americans Every Day, From Field to Table
Incumbent will serve as a Chemist in the Office of the Center Director located at USDA, ARS, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, in Grand Forks, North Dakota. The mission of the Center is to serve the public by conducting basic and applied research to elucidate the roles of diet and physical activity in preventing obesity and related disorders. The incumbent will work in the Nutrition Analytics Core, comprised of the Analytical Chemistry and Clinical Chemistry Facilities, developing and implementing analytical methods based on mass spectrometry and other instrumental methods.
This position requires the selectee to undergo a pre-employment check and a full background investigation. Any offer made is considered a tentative job offer pending the outcome of the pre-employment check. Retention in the position is based upon a favorable adjudication of the background investigation. The incumbent will be subject to periodic reinvestigations.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
· Plans, executes, and reports on original or ongoing studies;
· Creates and maintains quality control and quality assurance data for method;
· Interprets and evaluates the results of analyses to determine validity and scientific significance;
· Advises on improvement of instrumentation or procedural methods, and ensures that special equipment is procured, modified and installed;
· Develops and implements LC-MS based analyses while providing technical advice for other Center scientist and research staff;
· Manages human, physical, and fiscal resources of the National Analytical Core;
· Assists in developing, maintaining, and modifying various computer applications.
Working Conditions and Other Considerations:
The work requires regular and recurring physical exertion such as prolonged standing, reaching for supplies or materials, and lifting moderately heavy items. Incumbent will be working in an office and/or analytical laboratory setting where recurring exposure to moderate risks or discomforts will require special safety precautions. Incumbent will use protective clothing and equipment such as safety glasses, gloves, and laboratory coats when needed.