In order to meet the minimum qualifications for this ARCHITECT/ENGINEER position, you must meet the following criteria.
- 1. Degree: architecture; or related field that included 60 semester hours of course work in architecture or related disciplines of which at least (1) 30 semester hours were in architectural design, and (2) 6 semester hours were in each of the following: structural technology, properties of materials and methods of construction, and environmental control systems.
- 2. Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the arts and sciences underlying professional architecture, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the architectural principles, methods, and techniques and their applications to the design and construction or improvement of buildings. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by at least one of the following:
- a. Related Curriculum: Degree in architectural engineering may be accepted as satisfying in full the basic requirements, provided the completed course work in architectural engineering provided knowledge, skills, and abilities substantially equivalent to those provided in the courses specified in paragraph A. The curriculum for a degree in either architecture or architectural engineering covers function, esthetics, site, structure, economics, mechanical-electrical, and other engineering problems related to the design and construction of buildings primarily (but not exclusively) intended to house human activities. The courses required for a degree in architecture generally place emphasis upon planning, esthetics, and materials and methods of construction, while the courses for an architectural engineering degree place equal or greater weight on the technical engineering aspects such as structural systems, mechanical systems, and the properties of materials. Because of this difference in emphasis, persons with degrees in architecture may have a preference for work assignments that offer greater opportunities for them to express their artistic and creative abilities. As a result, they may be more concerned with planning and design aspects of architecture, and persons with degrees in architectural engineering may be more engaged in aspects emphasizing technical engineering considerations.
- b. Experience: An applicant lacking a degree in architecture must have had l year of experience in an architect's office or in architectural work for each year short of graduation from a program of study in architecture. In the absence of college courses, 5 years of such experience is required. This experience must have demonstrated that the applicant has acquired a thorough knowledge of the fundamental principles and theories of professional architecture.
GS-11 Must have at least 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree, or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
GS-12 Must have at least 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the KSA's listed below. Applicants are encouraged to address the KSA's in their application or resume or by submitting a supplemental statement with their application. Written response to each KSA will ensure that specialized experience criteria is recognized and credited.
1. Knowledge of architectural principles, theories, concepts, methods, and techniques.
2. Ability to have a creative and artistic sense.
3. Knowledge and skill to use pertinent aspects of the construction industry, engineering and the physical sciences related to the design and construction of new or the improvement of existing buildings.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Selected candidates will be required to be in a compatible military grade and assignment prior to the effective date of placement.
Compatible Military Assignments:
YOU MUST ALREADY BE A PERMANENT MILITARY TECHNICIAN FROM THE NEW YORK AIR NATIONAL GUARD TO BE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for your application to be considered, you need to submit the following document:
· RESUME (Resume must have a from and to date for each position worked in. The date must be month and year. Ex: 02/2012
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating and eligibility.
All qualified applicants will be forwarded to the selecting official, unless there are more than seven qualified applicants. In this case, the evaluation procedures in DMNA PAM 690-4, Chapter 5 will be used to further screen candidates prior to referral. A panel of three members will be appointed to rate the candidates using the KSA factors. Experience will be evaluated in terms of type and quality in relation to the requirements of the position. Length of service or experience will only be used when there is a clear relationship with quality of performance or when necessary to break ties when all other ratings are equal.
Following the determination of basic eligibility of the candidates as outlined in DMNA PAM 690-4, Chapter 5, qualified applicants will be referred to the selection official in the following sequence:
1. Category I: All excepted service technicians in the New York Army National Guard for Army technician vacancies and all excepted service technicians in the New York Air National Guard for Air technician vacancies, working at the location specified in the job announcement where the vacancy exists.
2. Category II: All currently employed excepted service technicians in either the New York Army or New York Air National Guard.
3. Category III: Qualified members of the New York National Guard (Army or Air), to include AGR personnel and temporary and Indefinite technicians, or other individuals who are willing to become members of the New York Army or Air National Guard.
* If there are fewer than three qualified applicants in Category I, then qualified applicants from Category II, III will be forwarded to the selection official, in sequential order, to provide at least three qualified applicants.