Job Title: Supervisory Dental Officer (Delegated Exam)Job Announcement Number: IHS-14-PX-991681-DE
Department: Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency: Indian Health Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, November 06, 2013 to
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Fort Duchesne, UT View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Serve as the Dental Chief for the Uintah & Ouray Service Unit located in Fort Duchesne, Utah.
- May apply for the IHS Loan Repayment Program: http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment
- Salary range authorized under Title 38.
- No government housing available.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized and will not be paid; however, a bonus may be authorized.
- Position covered by PL101-630, Indian Child Protection & Family Violence Prevention Act.
This position is also being announced under Announcement# IHS-14-PX-990684-ESEP/MP for those who want to be considered under the Merit Promotion and/or Excepted Service Examining Plan. If you wish to be considered under all hiring plans you must submit an application to both job opportunity announcements.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Dental education & licensure is required
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
In order to be considered, applicants must meet both of the following requirements listed below:
1. BASIC REQUIREMENTS - All applicants must meet both of the following requirements for the GS-0680, Dental Officer series:
- Education: Degree in dental surgery (DDS) or dental medicine (DMD) from a school approved by the Council on Dental Education, American Dental Association (ADA); or other dental school provided the education and knowledge acquired was substantially equivalent to that of graduates from an ADA-approved school.
- License: Current, unrestricted license to practice dentistry in a State, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico.
2. ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS - Applicants who meet the above basic requirements may qualify for the GS-12 grade level if they meet the following experience and/or training described below:
- 2 years of post-licensure professional dentistry experience in the general or specialized practice of dentistry; experience with high risk patients such as diabetics, early childhood caries, etc. preferred; OR superior academic ability as evidenced by a hospital dental internship or residency approved by the ADA. Prior leadership or supervisor experience is highly desirable.
Conditions of Employment
- Immunization against Measles and Rubella required; influenza vaccine is recommended.
- May be required to serve 1-year probationary period for new supervisory position.
- Must obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal Service.
Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position.
The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your application package to ensure you meet the job requirements. Your application package must support your answers to the occupational questionnaire. All applicants will be rated on the following skills or competencies: Medical & Dentistry, Diagnostic Tasks, Interpersonal Skills, Administration & Management.
If you meet all the qualification requirements, your application will be rated based on Category Rating procedures. Your application will be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
To be considered well qualified and exercise selection priority as an ICTAP/CTAP candidate for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a rating in the well qualified category or higher.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Applicants must submit a completed application prior to Midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the closing date:Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Option A: Online application process
- To begin, click the Apply Online button and create a new account or login to your existing USAJOBS account. You will create a resume or select a resume to use and be redirected to Application Manager. Answer the online questionnaire and submit all required documents listed below.
- Document Upload: If you are unable to scan and upload your supporting documents electronically you may fax them in using the official fax coversheet: http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf. Faxed documents may take 2-3 days to appear as Processed.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package. It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account at: https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Option B: Fax application process
We strongly encourage you to apply online. If you cannot apply online:
- Click the following link to view and print the Occupational Questionnaire: View Occupational Questionnaire, and the OPM Form 1203-FX: http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf, to provide your responses to the Occupational Questionnaire. The Vacancy Identification Number is: 991681.
- Fax all six (6) pages of the completed 1203-FX form, along with the required documents listed below, to (478) 757-3144. Your 1203-FX form will serve as your cover page for your fax transmission; make sure it is on top of any other documents. Faxed documents may take 2-3 business days to process.
Reasonable Accommodation: This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (602) 364-5219. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
You must provide the required documents listed below; if any of the following are missing when the announcement closes we will deem your application incomplete.
- Resume Describe your job-related qualification that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed. Cover letter optional.
- PL101 Form - Childcare Protection (aka Addendum to Declaration for Federal Employment): This form asks if you have ever been arrested for or charged with a crime involving a child and is required with your application: http://www.ihs.gov/Jobs/permanentDocs/ChildcareAddendumOMBApprovedForm-2015.doc
- Transcripts - Copy of your transcripts related to your dental education. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable but official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty.
- Licensure - Copy of your current, unrestricted dental license (see Qualifications)
Eligibility for Preference Categories - You must provide the documents listed below if requesting consideration under one of the preference categories listed below:
- Indian Preference If claiming Indian Preference, provide a copy of your BIA Form 4432 - Verification of Indian Preference. You may normally obtain this document from your tribal enrollment office. Copies of Certificate of Indian Blood and Tribal Enrollment cards will not be accepted.
- Veterans Preference If claiming Veterans Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form. To claim 10-Point Veterans Preference, submit a SF-15 Application (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veterans Preference visit: www.fedshirevets.gov
- Displaced Employee Placement (CTAP/ICTAP) Individuals who have special priority selection under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP) must be Well-Qualified for the position in order to receive consideration for special priority selection. Please submit a copy of your agency separation notice, most recent Performance Rating, and most recent SF-50.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
The questionnaire will assess your qualifications for the job, and will be used to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. We expect to make a final job offer within 40 days after the deadline for applications.