This position is located in the National Zoological Park (NZP), Smithsonian Institution. The position may be filled at the Washington, DC or Front Royal, VA location. The purpose of this position is to perform routine duties related to the care and maintenance of a collection of animals, many of which are rare and endangered. If you want to participate in this exciting challenge, apply today!
This is an open continuous announcement which is used to fill temporary vacancies as they become available. When you apply, your resume will be maintained in our candidate inventory, and eligible applicants will be considered for vacancies that occur during the open period of this announcement as they become available. The first cut-off date for initial consideration will be on or after November 19, 2013. Additional cut-off dates are established as vacancies become available.
This position performs a variety of duties that ensure the proper care, feeding, exhibition, and propagation of a collection of wild and exotic animals, many of which are rare and endangered:
- Measures and prepares food items and maintains sanitary conditions around feeding areas.
- Cleans animal enclosures by hosing, sweeping, scrubbing, raking, and removing manure, unconsumed food, and other refuse.
- Keeps service areas and adjacent public areas clean.
- Maintains enclosure materials by trimming and watering plants, replacing nesting and bedding material in accordance with instructions provided by higher level personnel.
- Prepares and implements, animal enrichment devices.
- Unloads and stores animal care supplies.
- As instructed and under close supervision, participates in animal training sessions.
- Interacts with the public in animal demonstration, feeding and monitoring sessions.