**Please note supporting documenation required for merit promotion vacancies has changed due to new department regulations. Please see the Required Documents section for more information.**
Relocation expenses will not be paid
This position is located in the Agricultural Marketing Service, Office of the Deputy Administrator, in Washington, DC. The incumbent of this position serves as a personal assistant to the Deputy Administrator and provides administrative and secretarial support to the office.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity.
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- The incumbent is a secretary for the Deputy Administrator's office and ensures that the practices and procedures used by secretaries in subordinate offices are consistent with those of the Administrator's Office.
- Serves in a liaison capacity between the Deputy Administrator, Associate Deputies, and others in the immediate office, representatives of the private sector,, other Federal Agencies, State and Foreign governments, national and international organizations, agricultural interest groups, Congress, other USDA agencies, academia, and other with agricultural interests.
- The incumbent receives and reviews all correspondence forwarded for attention by the Deputy Administrator and/or Associate Deputy; replies to mail not requiring the Deputy Administrator's attention; assigns correspondence not needing attention at this level to staff and/or program as appropriate, and follow up to ensure that actions are completed.
- Arranges and schedules meetings and conferences involving members of top management and officials of the agency, Department, and other agencies, as well as national and international visitors for the Deputy Administrator.
- Prepares travel arrangements including transportation reservations and hotel accommodations.
- Ensures necessary forms to authorizes foreign travel or to attend meetings; submits travel vouchers and other necessary items upon completion of travel.
- Regularly attends all staff meetings and records the minutes of meetings which are later summarized and distributed.
- In collaboration with the Deputy Administrator, provides overall direction and guidance to other secretaries, administrative assistants or clerks throughout the organization.