Job Title:Deputy Director, Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
Job Announcement Number:14A-LG-298869A-MPA-NZP
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, November 05, 2013 to
Friday, December 13, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|1 vacancy -
Front Royal, VA View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This position is open to current and former Federal employees with permanent status or reinstatement eligibility. Individuals who are eligible for a special appointing authority may also apply; such as applicants with a disability, former Peace Corps volunteers, certain military spouses, veterans seeking a VRA/VEOA appointment, or veterans who have been separated from armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service.|
This position is located in the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (SCBI) at the National Zoological Park (NZP). The employee is responsible for the general administration and oversight of SCBI research, financial, safety, and facility programs, as well as the operations of the Smithsonian-Mason School of Conservation (SMSC) at the SCBI facility in Front Royal, Virginia.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
All applicants must meet these Basic Requirements: (You must submit unofficial school transcripts)
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. OR Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If your education was completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
In addition to meeting Basic Requirements above, you qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-14 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as skills and activities associated with scientific research within the discipline of conservation biology, and with the administration and supervision of an established research and/or academic program involving multiple scientists, educators, and associated administrative and support staff.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applicants that meet the basic qualifications will have their resume evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Skill in scientific research and in the overall administration of a large, complex research organization and associated facilities and collections.
- Skill in developing courses and curricula for undergraduate and graduate students and specialized training courses for post-graduates and professionals.
- Skill in written communications to produce clear, lucid and diverse written products, such as memoranda, proposals, protocols, project plans, scientific and technical papers, publications and reports, professional journal articles, etc.
- Skill in oral communication to communicate in both formal and operational settings, such as communicating effectively with the supervisor, co-workers, consulting with colleagues both within and outside the work setting, and formally presenting finding at professional conferences and meetings.
The review of your resume will determine your final rating and should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.