The mission of the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) is to protect America's natural resources for future generations, provide access to our nation's natural and cultural heritage, offer recreational opportunities, honor its trust responsibilities to American Indians and Alaska Natives, conduct scientific research, provide wise stewardship of energy and mineral resources, and conserve and protect fish and wildlife.
The Department of the Interior, Office of Inspector General (OIG) is an independent office within the Department of the Interior (DOI) whose mission is to promote excellence, integrity, and accountability throughout DOI. The OIG conducts investigations, evaluations, and audits in order to enhance effectiveness and efficiency and to prevent and detect waste, fraud, and mismanagement in DOI programs and operations.
The position is located in the Financial Management Division (DFM). The DFM has overall responsibility of OIG management of budget formulation, budget execution, financial analysis and reporting, including preparation of budget estimates and budget justifications, development of support materials for the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), Congressional hearings on the budget, initiation of various budgetary and fund control reports, financial management, fiscal operations, and travel activities.
This position is also being advertised under Merit Promotion procedures (Vacancy Announcement: OIG-987303-14-02-SB). As both announcements are for one position, only one person can be selected.
The incumbent will serve as a Financial Management Analyst.
Typical duties Include:
- Serves as an administrator for the automated travel system and the point of contact for problems and questions on topics ranging from software use, entitlements, travel policy issues, transaction problems, and payment problems.
- Serves as an agency/organization coordinator for the charge card program.
- Reviews travel documents for accuracy and propriety of expenditure of funds.
- Screens and/or verifies financial documents. Ensures requests for payment are complete, accurate, and conform to all applicable regulations.
- Provides subject-matter expertise and technical oversight of the Financial and Business Management System, PaymentNet, the automated travel system and the Activity Based Costing System (ABC System).
- Responsible for the administration of the automated government travel system.
- Processes PCS documents. Reviews reimbursement documents for relocating OIG employees.
- Assists with retrieving reports and processing data within the Financial and Business Management System.
- Conducts special studies, research and analyses and provides recommendations, information papers, reports, and other documents.
- Works on projects across management functional lines to improve efficiency and effectiveness and eliminate or reduce problems.