Job Title:Work Place Specialist
Department:General Services Administration
Agency:Public Buildings Service
Job Announcement Number:1409010VBDE
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, November 01, 2013 to
Monday, February 2, 2015|
SERIES & GRADE:
|1 vacancy -
San Francisco, CA View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island).|
You may have heard GSA called 'the government's landlord', but GSA is about more than just buildings...We're a vehicle management and acquisition service...a real estate manager...an IT solutions provider...a global supply chain manager...and more! GSA provides innovative solutions for Federal agencies that include products, services, workspace, and expertise to build a more high-performing, efficient, sustainable, and transparent government for the American people. And, since our jobs are as diverse as the services we provide, GSA is a great place to start, build, and expand your career.
**Highly skilled individuals with Space Planning and Programming, Space Design and Architect experience are desired for these vacancies** CLOSING DATE CHANGED TO JANUARY 4, 2012. GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'. As a Workplace Specialist, you will operate as a technical specialist in collaboration with and in support to customers, proactively translating customer requirements into space planning/layout options and solutions, resulting in technical projects to address evolving customer workplace needs. Analyzes and monitors impact on building interior space design and overall building aesthetics to determine facility capability in meeting customer needs. This position is located in Region 09, Public Buildings Service, Real Estate Division, San Francisco, CA. This office is responsible for creating solutions for analyzing and monitoring impact on building interior space design and overall building aesthetics to determine facility capability in meeting customer needs. GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- -Background security investigation required
- -Applicants must be U.S. Citizens or nationals
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
DUTIES:Back to top
Performs the following core pod functions as addressed below:
Operates as a technical specialist in collaboration with and in
support to customers, proactively translating customer requirements
into space planning/layout options and solutions, resulting in
technical projects to address evolving customer workplace needs.
Analyzes and monitors impact on building interior space design and
overall building aesthetics to determine facility capability in
meeting customer needs.
Reviews and considers lifecycle condition
analysis and similar assessments and from those findings, integrates
and quantifies requirements into a scope of work for the project.
Leads the process of identifying tasks and potential problems and
determining the parameters of a viable solution, and task completion
in relation to space programming/interior design requirements and
Develops customized programming, technical specifications, budgets, space planning as well as the goals and objectives of the project.
Designs layouts to meet customer program requirements developed from initial programming effort while accounting for fire safety code
requirements and within general design principles. Implements GSA
workplace initiative programs.
Researches, prepares and/or approves (if contracted out) technical specifications such as computer rooms, special electrical, heating ventilation and air conditioning, physical security requirements, special construction such as courtrooms, cells, vaults and cafeterias, for use by realty employees for inclusion in the
Solicitation for Offers.
Utilizes AutoCad computer drafting system to generate design
Supports other Service employees in determinations about space
aesthetics. For instance, provides technical guidance to GSA
employees or customers on such items such as spatial configurations,
ceiling heights, architectural elements when acquiring space for the
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
SELECTIVE FACTOR: Applicants must meet the OPM minimum qualification standard and any identified selective factors. Applicants who do not meet the selective factor identified below will be rated ineligible. The selective factor(s) for this position has been defined as: This position requires a contracting warrant. Candidates must meet the following education and experience requirements: (A) A 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with a major in any field OR (B) At least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields: accounting, business, finance, law, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, qualitative methods, or organization and management; GS-9: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience applying the principles, practices and techniques of office space management, layout and interior design to review space requests, identify space needs, and assist with layout and alteration for tenant occupancy using computer aided drafting to prepare drawings for required design documents. or A master's or equivalent level degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or an LL.B. or JD. if related to the position; or A combination of related graduate level education and appropriate experience that together meet the qualification requirements of this position.
GS-9 Level: A master's or equivalent level degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or an LL.B. or JD. if related to the position; or A combination of related graduate level education and appropriate experience that together meet the qualification requirements of this position.
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment" (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background security investigation and receive a favorable adjudication.
- If you are not a current GSA employee, you must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 to determine identity and employment (work status) eligibility. GSA will verify the information through the DHS e-Verify automated system. Any identified discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- Complete an OGE Form 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, and obtain approval that no conflict or an appearance of conflict exists between your financial interest and this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Category Rating procedure is being used to rate candidates. If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self assessment vacancy questions will be used to place you in one of the following categories: Qualified, Well Qualified, Best Qualified. Your responses to the vacancy questions must be supported by your resume or the Human Resources Specialist may adjust your responses lower. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Appropriate documentation must be received to adjudicate veterans' preference. You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
1. An in-depth knowledge of interior design, interior construction, commercial real estate and space planning to space plan commercial office space and translate special technical requirements into workplace solutions.
2. In-depth knowledge of AutoCad software and other related operating systems to generate space plans, assignment drawing, design intent drawings and graphic presentations, project management features. Knowledge of advanced or innovative space planning and design theories and furniture systems to keep pace with changing technology and provide the government with state-of-the-art systems and designs.
3. Knowledge of architectural, mechanical and electrical features of building construction to assess and plan solutions to user needs within practical limitations.
4. Knowledge of project scheduling methods and cost estimating procedures, pricing policies and fees, necessary to develop project time fames and budgets for space planning and construction.
5. Familiarity with local and national building codes to ensure that solutions/options proposed comply with all applicable codes, GSA standards and program requirements. This includes project scheduling and assisting with project management.
6. Skill in oral, written and graphic communication to convey through presentation the availability of professional interior design services and make project presentations to the Federal community.
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing. If you are an Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan eligible or a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score or 85) to receive priority. ICTAP/CTAP
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
There are a variety of benefits available to Federal Government employees. For details click: BENEFITS (http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/EI61.asp)
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means, such as new appointment from an Office of Personnel Management or Delegated Examining list of eligibles, reassignment, transfer, reinstatement, or noncompetitive action. Management also has the right not to fill the position. GSA offers employees the opportunity to participate in an alternative work schedule program (AWS) for many positions. AWS includes both flexible work schedules and compressed work schedules. BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: AFGE The General Services Administration will not pay travel, transportation, and relocation expenses. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. For information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
We will only consider applications submitted through the online process listed below unless an exception has been approved by a representative of the HR Office listed on this announcement. A description of the online process is provided below:
- Select the "Apply Online" button. Log on to OPM's USAJOBS to access your existing resume or to create a new one.
- From your account, select which resume you wish to submit. You also have the option of attaching any required documents saved in your USAJOBS account. Click "Apply for this Position Now!"
- You will be redirected to GSA's automated system, GSAjobs. First time users will be asked to respond to "Account Creation" questions. If you are a return GSAjobs user, click the links on the left to review and update any necessary profile information before continuing on with the application process.
- You will be prompted to respond to "Eligibility Questions" which will be used to determine your eligibility to apply for various types of vacancies. If you are a return user, these fields will pre-populate with your previous responses. Please review and make any necessary changes before proceeding.
- Next, you will be asked to respond to vacancy specific questions regarding your qualifications and the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or other competencies required to successfully perform this position.
- Submit any required documents (see below). A "Vacancy Documents" page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Most documents become part of your permanent electronic file and you need to submit them only once unless you wish to update. You can view the Description column next to each form to determine if a previously submitted document is on file. For each document you must submit, select one of the following options in the "Action" column:
- "Upload" - Using the Document Manager, upload document (.gif, .jpeg, .png, .rtf, .pdf, and .doc format only) directly from your computer;
- "USAJOBS" - Using the Document Manager, download a document you previously attached from your USAJOBS account for this vacancy.
- "FAX" - Print the Fax Cover Sheet, then fax cover sheet and document(s) to the listed phone number. We strongly recommend you read the "Fax Instructions" provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- At this point, if you are determined to be qualified for the position based upon your previous responses, additional assessment questions may be presented.
- Finally, you'll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the 'Save PDF' button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE 'FINISH' BUTTON to submit your application.
If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application. ICTAP/CTAP: Submit proof of eligibility including agency notice; SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (or similar agency form); and most recent performance rating. Veterans:
In order to be considered as a 5-point preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty (member 4 copy). If you are claiming 10-point preference, you must submit the following in addition to the DD-214: (1) completed SF-15
form; and (2) proof of your entitlement to this preference. A list of documents which serve as acceptable proof of entitlement is indicated on the SF-15 form. College Transcripts: Submit a photocopy of your college transcript(s) if the qualifications for this announcement have an education requirement, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements. If slected, an official/sealed transcript will be required prior to appointment. For education completed outside the United States, submit a valid foreign credential evaluation. See OPM's General Policies
for information on crediting education. Eligible
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. Candidates in the highest quality category will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications. Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!