Applicants must have one year of specialized experience or additional education as defined below.
GS-7: One year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to at least the GS-5 level in the Federal service; OR, superior academic achievement; OR, one full year of graduate level education in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management.
Superior Academic Achievement (SSA): Applicants can qualify for the GS-07 on the basis of Superior Academic Achievement with a Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks. SSA can be met in one of three ways:(1) high grade point average,(2) class standing, or (3) member ship in a national scholastic honor society.
(1) GPA 2.95 or above for all courses for the entire curriculum or for courses completed during the final 2years. As an alternative, the GPA may be 3.45 or higher for courses in the major field of study either all major courses or major courses during the final 2 years.
(2) Class Standing. Applicants must rank in the top third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision.
(3) Honor Society Membership. Membership in one of more than 65 nationally recognized scholastic honor societies may qualify.
GS-9: One year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to at least the GS-7 level in the Federal service; OR, two full years of progressively higher level graduate education or Master's or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics.
For all grades, individuals must have IT related experience demonstrating each of the following for competencies:
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Definition of Specialized Experience: To meet specialized experience, your resume must describe experience that demonstrates the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities as follows:
GS-07: assisting in the planning and delivery of a full range of IT customer support services to an organization; installing, configuring, upgrading, and troubleshooting hardware and software components; participating in presenting IT related training and assistance to customers; responding to routine IT related customer requests; or maintaining IT problem tracking and resolution databases. These examples are not all inclusive.
GS-09: experience responding to customer IT help requests and resolving problems according to written procedures; experience performing phases of assignments pertaining to the design, development, testing evaluation and maintenance of operating systems; experience installing, configuring, upgrading, and troubleshooting hardware and software components; experience participating in designs and studies for new applications, modifications or improvements to IT systems; or experience analyzing computer system requirements for upgrades, modifications or new applications. These examples are not all-inclusive.
This vacancy announcement allows substituting education for experience. You must submit a copy of your college transcript (unofficial copy is acceptable) to support your education if you are substituting education for experience. Transcripts must include the name of the college or university and date the degree was conferred.
Foreign Education: To receive credit for education completed outside the United States, applicants must show proof that the education has been submitted to a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and such education has been deemed at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs.
Applicants must meet all qualification, and as applicable, time-in-grade, and selective factor requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Human Resources will review resumes and transcripts to ensure applicants meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided in the assessment questionnaire. The assessment questionnaire will take approximately 60 minutes. Applicants determined best-qualified will be referred to the selecting official.
Category rating and selection procedures will be used for evaluating this position. If you meet the basic qualification requirements, your on-line responses to the vacancy assessment questionnaire will be used to determine the quality and extent of your experience, education, training, etc., for placement in one of the following categories: 1)Best Qualified, 2) Well Qualified and 3) Qualified. Veterans with preference will be placed at the top of their respective category.
- Best Qualified candidates are those who meet minimum qualifications, are highly proficient in the major requirement(s) of the position, and proficient in most of the remaining aspects of the position.
- Well Qualified candidates are those who meet minimum qualifications and are proficient in most aspects of the position.
- Qualified candidates are those who meet minimum qualifications and possess only a few aspects of the position.
Applicants will be further evaluated on the following Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) through their resume and responses to the online questions.
1. Knowledge of customer IT support principles, methods, and techniques to plan and deliver a full range of customer support services, diagnose and resolve problems in response to customer's report of system problems, and provide customer training.
2. Knowledge of operating systems and administration methods and procedures to install upgrades and software, configure and maintain operating systems, monitor performance, run tests, troubleshoot systems, respond to shutdowns, interruptions, and system failures, and backup and restore data.
3. Knowledge of application software and systems analysis methods, tools and techniques and analytical skills to gather data and understand work flow processes; and participate in the design, development, testing and implementation of new or modified applications software.
Applicants must make a fair and accurate assessment of their qualifications. Applicants rating themselves higher than is apparent in their description of experience, competencies, skills, and/or education/training OR whose resume/application is incomplete may be removed from employment consideration.
To preview questions please click here.