DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Interpretation and translation activities within the scope of the employees duties.
2. Assess these employees language abilities to ensure their competency to perform language services for particular duties; and describe plans for enhancing employees language abilities.
3. Initiates and maintains compliance with IHSC policies for accreditation.
4. Provides direct care to detainees.
5. Works within Scope of Practice and performs functions outlined in the Protocols for Nurse Practitioners.
6. Performs medical histories on detainees entering the Service Processing Center (SPC) and completes necessary paperwork on them.
7. Performs physical examinations on detainees, which may include such procedures as pap smears, pelvic exams, EKGs, and/or neurological exams.
8. Evaluates and provides care to detainees with medical appointments, on sick call, or who are walk-ins.
9. Provides emergency and First Aid treatment including suturing, when required on detainees.
10. Performs minor surgical procedures.
11. Reviews/reevaluates weekly or as necessary, those cases requiring ongoing medical/pharmaceutical attention.
12. Carries out orders authorized by the physician.
13. Reads PPDs and provides Direct Observation Therapy (DOT) of INH/B6 to those detainees requiring it.
14. Provides relevant patient health education to detainees verbally and/or with handouts.
15. Documentation of this is reflected in the Progress Notes.
16. Documents all detainee contacts.
17. Documents using SOAP format, followed by the NPs signature and name stamp.
18. Documents medical/psychiatric problems on the Problem List in the detainees chart and initiates a plan of treatment.
19. Coordinates health care needs of detainees with other staff members and coordinates referrals to off-site providers as required.
20. Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies.
21. Maintains patient confidentiality and confidentiality of medical records.
22. Applies knowledge of drugs and therapeutics when prescribing and dispensing medication.
23. Maintains safety when dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazard of drug hoarding and trafficking among detainees.
24. Destroys and properly disposes of all needles/syringes.
25. Maintains non-involvement in the security aspects of care.
26. Assists in the disposal of biologically hazardous wastes on a regular basis.
27. Takes blood, urine specimens, sputum samples, etc. and performs laboratory analysis poor early detection of communicable or other diseases.
28. Interprets selected laboratory findings.
29. Takes direct and indirect action to isolate and quarantine cases and provide health safety and treatment for all employees and detainees at the facility when contagious diseases or chronic health problems are evident.
30. Assists in maintenance of medical equipment and quality control of laboratory reagents.
31. Attends general/medical staff meetings.
32. Participates in QA/I activities as assigned.
33. May assist in maintaining medical supply stock level, restocking as needed. May order supplies (lab and otherwise).
34. May serve as medical escort of detainees as needed, for domestic/overseas travel.
35. May serve at other ICE HSD medical facilities on temporary duty (TDY)
36. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
37. If an Infirmary (Short-Stay Unit) is onsite, may do daily rounds on patients and notify the Physician, or Clinical Director of any abnormal findings.
38. May perform chest x-rays
39. Provide radiological services; these services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance i.e. digital single view chest x-rays.
40. The incumbent will be required to provide on-call medical duty coverage as needed after regular work hours and may need to return to the facility to provide medical care.
41. As needed, works with and is assigned to various committees. Flexible and able to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and work requirements.