The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visitNIH Overview
If you are an exceptionally talented, knowledgeable and motivated individual with Dietetics experience and want to play a significant role in a dynamic organization, then consider joining the National Institutes of Health, Clinical Center, Nutrition Department. The Nutrition Department is committed to providing the best possible nutrition services and research support for patients. The Nutrition Department prepares and delivers high quality food to inpatients and day hospital patients. Through the use of computer technology, a Room Service Program is permissible for over 150 therapeutic and research diets and is utilized by most patients. The Room Service Program allows patients to call for food selections anytime between 6:30am-6:30pm and receive a meal tray within 45 minutes after placing the order. The menu is designed to meet the nutritional needs of our diverse inpatient population.
The position is located in the Clinical Center.
The major duties of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Receive patients' calls for room service; processes, communicates and coordinates meal requests in a fast paced environment. Notifies patient care staff to alter diet orders as required.
- Ensures meal orders for patients are entered efficiently and accurately using a computerized or manual system.
- Verify requested items are in compliance with the diet order and instructions in the patient's file.
- Evaluate all menu choices for diet order and allergy compliance, nutritional limits and to ensure that patients are receiving a balanced meal plan.
- Contact medical staff such as nurses and dietitians to inform them of any changes, edits and clarifications concerning patient meal requests; ensure that patients receive the correct nutrient to their diet type.
- Monitor the system to ensure that meal tickets are printed in the kitchen.
- Obtain and/or process meal requests from patients unable to use the Room Service program.