The mission of the Indiana National Guard Full-Time Force is to maintain properly trained and equipped units available for prompt mobilization for war, national or state emergency. For information about membership call: 1.800.GO GUARD
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED
DUTY LOCATION: Indianapolis, IN (USPFO)
JOB SUMMARY: This position is located in an information management organization. The purpose of this position is to serve as the primary interface between the incumbents assigned organization and all information systems customers associated with the C4 mission. Responsible for management of the organizations customer support help desk and maintenance of the workload accounting database using help desk software.
This job announcement is for employment as an Indiana Army National Guard Technician; a Federal Civil Service position. This is a dual-status technician job whereby you are required to maintain active membership in a National Guard unit and are required to wear the military uniform at the workplace. As members of a unit of the Indiana National Guard, you will be required to train with your unit, normally one weekend a month and 15 days of annual training each year. Indiana Army National Guard units and members are subject to immediate call to federal or state active duty to meet national or state emergencies.
APPOINTMENT FACTORS: This position is an Permanent Excepted Service position.
MILITARY RANK REQUIREMENTS: E-5 thru E-8 or CW2-CW4
MILITARY SPECIALITY REQUIREMENTS: Individuals must meet the qualifications for the technician position but will have 1 year from date of hire to be assigned to a compatible MOS in a compatible unit for the technician position advertised.
Compatible Military Assignments: WO: 255A, 255N, 255S; Enlisted: 25B, 25U, 25Z
AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
Permanent (Tenure 1 or 2) Technicians employed by the Indiana Army National Guard
Temporary, TERM or Indefinite Federal (Tenure 0 or 3) Technicians employed by the Indiana Army National Guard
Traditional M-Day Soldiers with the Indiana Army National Guard
Guard members from another state; Reservists/IRR; and/or Active Duty Soldiers willing to join the Indiana Army National Guard
Civilians with prior military service willing to join the Indiana Army National Guard
Civilians with no prior military service willing to join the Indiana Army National Guard
As a IT Specialist (CUSTSPT) with the Indiana Army National Guard (ARNG), your duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Serves as a technical expert on all supported automated systems utilized throughout the state. Provides solutions to customer requests for assistance in resolving hardware and software problems. Systems used include personal computers, mini computers and mainframes.
- Develops and maintains the customer service database for all service requests. Receives, analyzes, and assigns control numbers to all incoming customer requests. Determines if equipment is covered by warranty or maintenance contract and processes accordingly. Uses a process for quickly assessing and determining the actual problems and either solves or assigns unresolved requests to appropriate specific functional area. Follows up with the functional areas to ensure problems are resolved and requests are completed. Ensures continual contact and update of status with the user.
- Performs intensive collection and analysis of data from the customer service database to create trend reports, performance reports, and future requirements for all areas of Information Management. Provides database maintenance on the customer support database. Participates in the analysis of requests for new and modified applications. Determines equipment demands and number and kind of requests received: data communications requests, telecommunications requests, visual information requests, and information services requests.
- Researches trends and patterns to implement new or improved communications methods and procedures. Incumbent uses judgment in relating trends in workload, equipment performance, other activitys experience with comparable proposals to determine the worth of a proposed change in the states networking, automation, telecommunications, visual information or information services normal working environment.
- Conducts site surveys for information systems designed to verify adequacy of network operations and ensure customer needs are met. Consults with users and managers to determine specific locations and requirements for the particular system installation. Identifies requirements for and coordinates necessary improvements with Facilities Management Office, Communications Manager and others. Develops bill of materials to support equipment installation.
- Installs and maintains hardware devices supporting a broad range of information systems employing multiple network and local operating systems and highly sophisticated client server software. Uses detailed reference material and sophisticated diagnostic equipment and complex diagnostic software to identify and resolve internal system and network conflicts. Removes and replaces defective hardware components; installs network/peripheral device interface cards. Performs limited upgrade of hardware to include memory, fixed storage, and installation of network interface cards (NIC) or enhancement cards.
- Installs and configures workstation or network operating systems, and applications software on a wide range of configurable information systems devices. Configures a wide variety of devices requiring diverse interfaces and device drivers in multiple operating system environments using a wide variety of hardware platforms. Enforces command standards for hardware and software configurations. Configures workstation security parameters. Troubleshoots and corrects complex software problems to include resolving conflicts between applications, hardware and/or device conflicts, and operating system faults. Detects and removes computer viruses. Restores and repairs critical data files. Updates hardware and software architecture databases to reflect installations, turn-ins, and changes in reportable software.
- Performs operational tests on equipment in test array or operational configuration prior to issue or installation to ensure proper operation and absence of hardware, software, device or network conflicts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Incumbent may be required to prepare for and support the mission through the accomplishment of duties pertaining to military training, military readiness, force protection and other mission related assignments including, but not limited to, training of traditional Guard members, CWDE/NBC training, exercise participation (ORE/ORl/UCI/MEI/OCl/I G, etc.), mobility exercise, FSTA/ATSO exercise participation, SABC training, LOAC training, weapons qualification training, participation in military formations, and medical mobility processing within the guidelines of NGB/ARNG/ANG/State/TAG rules, regulations and laws. These tasks have no impact on the classification of this position and should NOT be addressed in any technicians performance standards.