- U.S. citizenship Experience/Education - Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of this position;
- OR one year above high school;
- OR equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level which both education and experience are acceptable.
- Physical standards - All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position.
- Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
GRADE REQUIREMENTS FOR GS-06: At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-05) with responsibilities close to the work of this position that has given you the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform the duties of this position? Examples of specialized experience include setting priorities and deadlines, adjusting the flow and sequencing of the work to meet team and patient needs; entering appropriate information into the electronic record; monitoring pre-appointment requirements to assure readiness for patient visit/procedure (e.g., X-ray, lab work); managing electronic wait list to verify and validate accuracy and resolve issues; participating and providing input in problem solving on operational issues or procedures in team meetings, performing administrative follow up actions; participating in and independently following up on team huddles by sharing information and collaborating with the medical team to assure continuity of care; educating providers about shared patients (those who receive their care at multiple VAs or those who have care in the community) and bringing to the attention of the provider; monitoring performance measure data and influencing team toward successful execution; monitor and report training requirements among team members to ensure training and continuing education requirements are fulfilled; monitor encounter activity and workload to ensure timeliness standards are met for billing and workload capture.
must demonstrate the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities below:
- Ability to collaborate, communicate, set
priorities, and organize the work in order to meet deadlines, ensuring
compliance with established processes, policies, and regulations.
- Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively, both orally and in writing, in order to meet program objectives. This may include preparing reports in various formats and presenting data to various organizational levels.
- Advanced knowledge of the technical health care process as it relates to access to care.
- Advanced knowledge of managing a clinic. This includes independently utilizing reference sources, decision making, and empowering the team to collaborate and resolve problems within a complex systems environment.
- Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures associated with operational activities that affect the patient flow, patient care, and the revenue process.
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology due to the technical nature of language utilized by clinicians.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The position is primarily sedentary with some walking, stooping, bending and carrying of light items.
If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
References: VA Handbook 5005/35, Part II, Appendix G45, MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated June 7, 2012.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.