Job Title: Assistant-Professor / Associate-Professor / Professor Job Announcement Number: NDU-14-002-983074
Department: Department of Defense
Agency: National Defense University
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, November 07, 2013 to
Friday, December 13, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
Excepted Service Term NTE 3 years
1 vacancy in the following location:
Fort McNair, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
The National Defense University (NDU) is the premier national security institution focused on advanced joint education, leader development and scholarship.
Under the direction and leadership of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the oversight of the Director for Joint Force Development, Joint Staff (J-7), NDU offers a collegial and collaborative academic environment to support the joint warfighter by providing rigorous Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) to members of the U.S. Armed Forces and select others in order to develop leaders who have the ability to operate and creatively think in an unpredictable and complex world. Students are selected for their leadership potential and attend classes at Fort McNair in Washington DC; the Joint forces Staff College in Norfolk, VA; and at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School at Fort Bragg, NC. A variety of on-line courses are offered as well. At NDU, students are encouraged and taught to think creatively, critically, and imaginatively in order to anticipate and overcome future challenges to national security. The curriculum combines information technology and classroom experience with many other aspects such as international travel and exposure; interaction with industry, members of the inter-agency community, and international allies and partners; and participation, research and professional exchanges with local and national consortia of national security academic institutions.
This position is at the Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Strategic Leadership Deparment, at the National Defense University. The students are US and foreign officers in the rank of captain/commander in the Navy and Coast Guard and in the rank of colonel/lieutenant colonel in the other services as well as civilians in the grade of GM/GS 14-15 and SES, and civilian equivalents in other federal agencies, foreign governments, and in the private sector. NDU is fully accredited to award a Master's Degree from the Middle States Association and is considered the nation's premier Joint Professional Military (JPME) University.
NDU invites interested persons to apply for a position as Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor of Strategic Leadership, which is currently available at The Eisenhower School for the year term commencing on or about 1 May 2014.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
For the Professor position: Applicants must possess an earned doctoral degree with an academic specialty focusing on effective leadership at the strategic level of large organizations, have significant professional experience in this area, documented outstanding full-time teaching at a regionally-accredited university or college for at least seven years, significant service/outreach to the university or college, and an exemplary record of scholarship/research.
For the Associate Professor position: Applicants must possess an earned doctoral degree with an academic specialty focusing on effective leadership at the strategic level of large organizations, have progressive professional experience in this area, and documented excellence at the assistant professor level at a regionally-accredited university or college involving full-time teaching for at least five years, service/outreach to the university or college, and a record of scholarship/research.
For the Assistant Professor position: Applicants must possess a master's degree (earned doctoral degree preferred) with an academic specialty focusing on effective leadership at the strategic level of large organizations and should have professional experience in this area and/or teaching experience at the undergraduate or graduate level.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants will be evaluated by information provided in the Assessment Questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
- Experience teaching at the graduate level using the Socratic Method as well as adult and experiential learning techniques, focused on strategic leadership and organizational transformation. Experience designing and implementing academic curriculum, syllabi development, practical exercises and case study analysis. Experience supervising students conducting and presenting graduate-level research. Knowledge of the Joint Professional Military Education system.
- Experience as a strategic leader, or directly supporting a strategic leader to include implementing a major change in a large organization of the Department of Defense, government, or the private sector.
- Experience developing or managing individual assessment and development programs to include psychological assessment tools/instruments and statistical analysis. Experience training counselors or executive coaches.
- Serving as an academic department chair or mid-level manager in government or in the private sector.
- Experience teaching courses dealing with national security strategy, resourcing national security from the government and private sector perspectives in addition to regional and global security issues.
- Experience conducting strategic analysis and ability to research and publish issues related to strategic leadership and national security.