The Bureau of Indian Education's mission is to provide quality education opportunities from early childhood through life in accordance with the tribes needs for cultural and economic well-being and in keeping with the wide diversity of Indian tribes and Alaska Native villages as distinct cultural and governmental entities.
MISSION STATEMENT: Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute is a National Indian Community College that prepares Native American students to be productive life-long learners as tribal members in an ever-changing global environment. As a land grant institution, SIPI partners with tribes, employers, and other organizations with a stake in Indian education. An enduring commitment to student success is the hallmark of SIPI's operations.
The purpose of this position is to provide unarmed protective services guarding the campus of SIPI, including personnel, students, equipment property and materials.
INDIAN PREFERENCE: Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (Title 25, USC, Section 472). Verification Form BIA-4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference. Indian preference eligibles that are not currently employed in the Federal service will be appointed under the Excepted Service Appointment Authority Schedule A, 213.3112(A)(7).
STATUS CANDIDATES: Consideration will be given to Non-Indian applicants (Status or Reinstatement eligibles) in the absence of a qualified Indian Preference eligible. Applicants not entitled to Indian or Veteran's Preference must be Federal civilian employees with competitive status or former Federal civilian employees with reinstatement eligibility and must submit latest Notification of Personnel Action, SF-50B, as proof.
POSITION RESTRICTED TO VETERANS: THIS POSITION IS RESTRICTED TO VETERAN PREFERENCE ELIGIBLES IN ACCORDANCE WITH 5 U.S.C. 3310. IF THEIR ARE NO QUALIFIED VETERAN PREFERENCE ELIGIBLES, WE MAY REFER NON-PREFERENCE ELIGIBLES FOR EMPLOYEMENT CONSIDERATION.
VETERANS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES ACT (VEOA): Preference eligibles may apply for permanent positions (career or career-conditional appointments) under merit promotion procedures for VEOA appointments; however, veteran's preference is not a factor in these appointments. To be eligible for a VEOA appointment, a veteran must be a preference eligible OR veteran separated after 3 or more years of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions. Applicants must submit a copy of their DD-214 for verification of eligibility. For more information about this program and to determine whether you are eligible, click here .
- Protects U.S. Government and personal property on SIPI campus by deterring and reporting damage, pilferage, removal, misuse, larceny, theft or other improper or unlawful threats to buildings, building contents and grounds.
- Protects people on SIPI campus by maintaining order and detaining persons, within the limits of authority, attempting to gain unauthorized access to the campus so that students, employees, and citizens can conduct business with confidence.
- Conducts patrol of the campus utilizing a motor vehicle and foot patrol.
- Provide security services to the student residential halls, including conducting rounds of residence hall wings.
- Contacts local police department, emergency medical services and fire department for emergency assistance, as needed.
- Participate in Federally Continuity of Operations (COOP) training and practice activities designed to mobilize for, respond to, and recover from a national security emergency.
- Maintains two-way radio and cellular communications.
- Prepare accurate and detailed incident reports on accidents, fires, bomb threats, unauthorized access attempts, unusual incidents, and unlawful acts.
- Maintain a detailed log of activities and observances.
- Receive and/or prepare various forms, work orders, reports, and other documents.
- Assist other departments as needed for special events or emergency situations and serves on college committees, as needed.