To be eligible for this position, you must meet the basic individual occupational requirements (see Occupational Questionnaire).In addition to, you must possess qualifying specialized experience and/or education as described in the Occupational Questionnaire and as outlined below. All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement, Monday, November 18, 2013
Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors.
To qualify at the GS-11 grade level based on specialized experience, you must have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 grade level. Specialized experience is experience that provides you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Examples of such experience for this grade level include:
Preparing or contributing to writing Environmental Impact Statements and Assessments; indentifying, implementing, analyzing vegetation inventories and monitor objectives and protocols; securing competitive funding for vegetation inventory, monitoring, restoration and research projects; incorporating appropriate GIS and GPS technology to provide comprehensive and scientifically sound answers and supervising others.
To qualify at the GS-11 level based on education, you must show you have completed 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D degree or equivalent graduate degree which is directly related to this positon.Combination of graduate education and specialized experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. Please see Occupational Questionnaire. Your resume must reflect all your education and/or experience claimed.
Qualifying Based on Education: To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Applicants can verify accreditation HERE . Transcripts do not need to be official but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify then you will need to provide official transcripts before you enter on duty. You can receive credit for education received outside the United States if you provide evidence that it is comparable to an accredited education institution in the United States when you apply. For further information click HERE.
Requirements: 1. If new to Federal civil service, you will be required to serve a 1 year probationary period.
2. You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued drivers license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued drivers license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid drivers licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State drivers license.
Please Note: If it is determined that your resume/application materials do not support your answer to the occupational questionnaire, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified or your score may be modified.
You must at least include months, years and hours worked per week in your resume, to receive full credit for your work experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies".
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the requirements for the position. You will receive a numeric rating based on your responses to the occupational questionnaire. Your answers to the questionnaire will be compared against your resume and other application materials in order to validate your score. The assessment questions relate to the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) that are required to perform the work of this position. Only education and experience acquired by the closing filing deadline will be considered.
1. Knowledge of plant species and communities in the Northern Rocky Mountains and protection of such resources.
2. Knowledge of, and ability to identify, design/develop and implement vegetation inventory and/or monitoring protocols.
3. Knowledge of scientific method of hypothesis testing for research of basic science vegetation issues.
4. Knowledge of native vegetation restoration of disturbed rangeland.
5. Knowledge of, and ability to secure funding and provide project oversight and coordination.
6. Knowledge of global positioning systems (GPS) and geographical information systems (GIS).
Category rating procedures will be used to refer candidates. Candidates will be placed into either the Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified category.
Best Qualified - applicants possess experience and/or education that well exceed the minimum qualifications of the position, including all selective factors and all quality ranking factors. Applicants considered best qualified must be highly proficient in all requirements of the job and be able to perform effectively in the position.
Well Qualified - applicants possess experience and/or education that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job.
Qualified - applicants possessing experience and/or education that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
Order of Consideration: Candidates will be considered in the following order:
1. Applicants with veterans preference who have a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more and who scored at least in the Qualified category, and Best Qualified veterans preference eligibles who do not have a service-connected disability, followed by all other Best Qualified applicants;
2. Well Qualified veterans preference eligibles who do not have a service-connected disability, and then all other Well Qualified applicants;
3. Qualified veterans preference eligibles who do not have a service-connected disability, and then all other Qualified applicants.
Veterans must submit the required documentation to verify/confirm eligibility for preference (see How to Apply section), otherwise, no veteran's preference will be granted. Additional veteran's information is found at http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetguide.asp