The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal and Urban operated facilities and programs.
For information on the IHS visit: IHS.GOV
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RE-ADVERTISEMENT-- Those who already applied for this position "DO NOT" Need to Re-Apply UNLESS you would like to update your application and/or supporting documents; your applications will be re-considered.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/ Merit Promotion procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-R2-AB-940709-ESEP/MP for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Aberdeen Area, PHS Indian Health Care Facility, Division of Community Health Services, Mental Health /Social Services Section, Sisseton, South Dakota.
Sisseton, SD United States 1 vacancy
- SALARY RANGE: $81,823.00 - $106,369.00 (Annually)
- PROMOTION POTENTIAL: 13
- IS TRAVEL REQUIRED: YES--Frequent travel may be required.
- IS POSITION COVERED BY (PL 101-630): YES--See under the "How-to-Apply" section of this vacancy for link.
- IS GOVERNMENT HOUSING AVAILABLE: YES--Depending on availability
- IS BARGAINING UNIT: NO
- SUPERVISORY: YES--This position may require a one (1) year probationary period.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- CLINICAL PRIVELEGES STATEMENT: This position will require that you obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
- LICENSURE(S): A Clinical Psychologist must possess and maintain a current, valid, unrestricted license and certification(s) in a state.
See http://www.ihs.gov/jobsatihs/ for more details.
Please ensure you answer all questions and follow all instructions carefully; Errors or omissions may impact your rating and/or result in you losing consideration for this position.
MAJOR DUTIES: This position is located at WWKMHCC, Sisseton, SD. The position will serve as the Director of the Mental Health Department which provides comprehensive mental health services to pediatric, adolescent, adult & elderly patients. The Clinical Psychologist's responsibility covers the full range of psychological health services as well as providing clinical and administrative supervision and direction to the department. It is complex and changes continuously depending on situations encountered and clientele need. It requires formulating treatment plans and techniques and establishing work effectiveness criteria; implementing this criteria and evaluating staff, both professional and paraprofessional.
· Work is generally performed in the setting of an office within the health center. Occasionally services will be provided in the clinic patient rooms or procedure room. Hazards include exposure to contagious diseases, contact with persons who may be fearful or hostile and occasionally with severely agitated or psychotically disturbed persons. Responds to urgent calls from physician, nursing staff or other health providers as outlined in the Mental Health/Behavioral Health Procedures Manual (IHS Manual) during normal tour of duty hours.
· The Clinical Psychologist works independently providing therapy with individuals, families and groups. The Clinical Psychologist maintains the responsibility for the care delivered and has considerable independence in using or developing new techniques in psychotherapeutic methods for providing treatment. Individual/Family counseling, Marriage/Couples counseling, mental health assessments, depression screenings and intervention s, anxiety screening and intervention, medication education, co-occurring disorder counseling, grief counseling, ADHD testing, suicide prevention awareness;
· Routine duties shall include providing behavioral health counseling, substance abuse counseling, and related mental health services to individuals eligible for services provided by the IHS in homes, schools, clinics, job sites, and other community locations within the Sisseton Service Unit.
· Performs other position related duties as assigned.