Job Title: Medical OfficerJob Announcement Number: HHS-OHR-ED-14-980516
Department: Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency: Food and Drug Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 to
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
The salary range listed above does not include Locality Pay for any of the Duty Locations.
These vacancies will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority. Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants does not apply to positions filled under this announcement.
This announcement is being used to create an inventory of qualified applicants for Medical Officer positions and will be used to fill immediate and future vacancies.
Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority.
Some positions may be filled as Permanent, Temporary, or Term Appointments.
Some positions may be filled as Medical Officers, Supervisory Medical Officers, or Lead Medical Officers.
Although this vacancy announcement is advertised for multiple duty locations and grade levels, it is not intended to convey any implication nor expectation that positions will be filled at all grade levels or locations.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area HHS-wide.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
Background investigation is required.
DUTIES:Back to top
In support of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) public health research and analyses, incumbent performs non-clinical duties involving the evaluation of medical research or the identification of causes or sources of disease or disease outbreaks. Additionally, applies epidemiological principles and/or procedures to investigate, review, analyze, and/or determine the cause(s) of problems, situations, inconsistencies, and/or issues related to programmatic degradation or systemic or causal parameters. Researches findings which impact significant public health programs, issues, problems, processes, and procedures and/or the transmission of other causation of disease or public health issues or situations. Makes substantive, multi-layered, and/or multi-dimensional recommendations and/or courses of action to carry out control procedures, streamline public health processes and procedures, knowledge bases, and/or effect new approaches to resolve programmatic issues contribute to the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the HHS disease prevention, control and health promotion mission.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Basic Qualification Requirements for Medical Officer, GS-602-13/14/15:
Have a Degree: Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).]
Additional Qualification Requirements: In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirements candidates must also:
For GS-602-13 Grade Level:
Have three years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training.
For GS-602-14 Grade Level:
Have four years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training.
For GS-602-15 Grade Level:
Have five years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses may be paid.
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized.
11. Some positions may require up to 25% travel.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
For more information on OPM's authorization of Direct Hire Authority, please visit http://www.opm.gov/employ/direct_hire/index.asp.
These positions will be filled through Direct Hire Authority (DHA). All applicants who meet basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for further consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated and rated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge of public health and medical programs, procedures, and policies.
2. Knowledge of theories, principles, and concepts of applied public health research.
3. Skill in applying epidemiological principles and/or procedures to investigate, review, analyze, and/or determine the cause(s) of problems, situations, inconsistencies, and/or issues related to programmatic degradation or systemic or causal parameters.
4. Skill in oral communication.
5. Skill in written communication.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application you may use the following link: https://applicationmanager.gov.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following Vacancy ID 980516. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot apply online:
- Click the following link to view and print the assessment questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire, and
- Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the assessment questionnaire http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf and
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
- This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Bethesda Center HelpDesk (888) 478-4340, TTY/TDD (800) 877-8339; or email email@example.com or Atlanta Customer HelpDesk (770) 488-1725; TTY/TDD (866) 539-4484; or email HRCS@CDC.GOV. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
Your Résumé - You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
A complete Assessment Questionnaire
Other supporting documents:
- Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- College Transcripts, if applicable
Note: You may submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, and grades received. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Tuesday, January 28, 2014.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/ResumeAndApplicationTips#icc
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email or by mail, if no email address was provided by you during the application process, once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
Additional Duty Location Info
Many vacancies in the following locations:
Anchorage, AK View Map
Los Angeles, CA View Map
Fort Collins, CO View Map
Washington DC Metro Area, DC
Fort Lauderdale, FL View Map
Gainesville, FL View Map
Hollywood, FL View Map
Miami, FL View Map
North Miami, FL View Map
Vero Beach, FL View Map
Atlanta, GA View Map
Atlanta, GA View Map
Alexandria, LA View Map
Baton Rouge, LA View Map
Berlin, MA View Map
Boston, MA View Map
Concord, MA View Map
Marlborough, MA View Map
Milton, MA View Map
Northampton, MA View Map
Baltimore, MD View Map
College Park, MD View Map
Columbia, MD View Map
Ellicott City, MD View Map
Hyattsville, MD View Map
Kensington, MD View Map
Potomac, MD View Map
Rockville, MD View Map
Silver Spring, MD View Map
White Oak, MD View Map
Woodlawn, MD View Map
Fairfield, ME View Map
Freeport, ME View Map
Fenton, MI View Map
Saint Paul, MN View Map
Blue Springs, MO View Map
Saint Charles, MO View Map
Monroe, NC View Map
Trenton, NJ View Map
Albuquerque, NM View Map
Santa Fe, NM View Map
Las Vegas, NV View Map
New York, NY View Map
Suffern, NY View Map
Cincinnati, OH View Map
Lyndhurst, OH View Map
Perrysburg, OH View Map
Toledo, OH View Map
Tulsa, OK View Map
Tulsa, OK View Map
Portland, OR View Map
Portland, OR View Map
Portland, OR View Map
Philadelphia, PA View Map
Pittsburgh, PA View Map
Yardley, PA View Map
San Juan, PR View Map
Providence, RI View Map
North Augusta, SC View Map
Coalmont, TN View Map
Nashville, TN View Map
Austin, TX View Map
Austin, TX View Map
El Paso, TX View Map
Keller, TX View Map
San Antonio, TX View Map
Spokane, WA View Map
Morgantown, WV View Map