Unlock secrets in deep oceans, track rapidly moving storms, operate state-of-the-art environmental satellites, chart the Nation's waterways, formulate models to forecast climate trends, protect and preserve our living marine resources...it's all in a day's work at NOAA! Join a dedicated workforce committed to a vital mission: safeguarding the public, protecting natural resources, strengthening the economy. A career that makes a world of difference!
This position is located in the Office of Marine and Aviation Operations (OMAO), Marine Operations center located in Newport, OR.
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-4 is equivalent to the GS-13/14.
This position is also announced under vacancy number OMAO-MOC-2013-0025, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
* Payment of relocation expenses is authorized.
* This position is not in the bargaining unit.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
Must submit financial disclosure form OGE450.
*This vacancy may be used to fill other General Engineer, ZP-0801-4 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
The individual selected for this position will:
- Serve as manager and single point of contact for engineering support for designated class of specific group of NOAA vessels.
- Manage all maintenance funding for the class or group of vessels.
- Develop and maintain records of maintenance costs in accordance with Engineering Division Practices.
- Coordinate technical engineering expertise to resolve issues from casualties, safety and compliance inspections and Ship Structure and Machinery Evaluation board (SSMEB) reports.
- Execute Marine life cycle maintenance plans for a class or group of NOAA vessels.
- Manage the configuration of assigned vessels to ensure fleet standards, regulatory and mission requirements are met.