Job Title: Third Assistant Engineer (Watch/Day), WM-9934-02Job Announcement Number: OMAO-MOC-2013-0024
Department: Department Of Commerce
Agency: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Friday, October 18, 2013 to
Tuesday, September 30, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Mixed Tour -
Permanent Positions in the Excepted Service.
WHO MAY APPLY:
*All qualified United States citizens.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
About the Agency
As a conditional of employment, your position will be a Mixed Tour position. Mixed Tour of duty is a combination of full time, part time and intermittent work schedules which allows the best utilization of resources based on the work requirements of the organization. You will be required to sign a Mixed Tour Agreement.
Once selected, you may be sent to any vessel nationwide. There is no guarantee that you will be assigned to any particular vessel or geographic location, however, your duty location will be determined by your home of record or ship’s home port. Duty locations are Norfolk, VA; Charleston, SC; Woods Hole, MA; Pascagoula, MS; Newport, OR; Kodiak, AK; Ketchikan, AK; San Diego, CA; Honolulu, HI; Davisville, RI.
This is an open continuous announcement. Applications will be considered as vacancies occur.
A one year Trial period may be required.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must have a valid USCG License prior to appointment.
- Applicant must meet physical requirements prior to appointment.
- Applicant must pass drug testing prior to appointment.
- Applicant must be able to obtain and hold a US Passport.
- Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov).
DUTIES:Back to top
The incumbent selected for this position will:
- Direct and perform maintenance and repair work on the Engineering Department's ship systems in accordance with manufacturer's and shipbuilder's technical manuals and NOAA policy as directed by supervising engineer.
- Direct the activities of unlicensed engineering personnel while on watch or performing maintenance.
- Be responsible for the maintenance and operational requirements that ensure safe and effective operation of the engineering, electrical, or electrical systems that may be assigned to him/her. Keeps required records, logs, and reports.
- Stand engine room watches at sea or in port; may be on call during non-normal duty hours as required.
- Perform other mission related duties as assigned, including duties related to the safety of the vessel and personnel.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
All applicants must possess: a valid U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) license for Third Assistant Engineer, or higher rating, and be endorsed for motor vessels prior to appointment.
There is no individual occupational or positive education requirement for this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the vacancy announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions). However, your resume or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. The best-qualified candidates will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of the list of eligible candidates.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Your complete application, including required documents, must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. To apply on-line, you must complete and submit an application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://www.usajobs.gov
. To begin, click the Apply Online button near the bottom of this screen and follow the prompts to register into your USAJOBS account, answer the questions, and submit all required documents. To return to your saved application, log in to your USAJOBS account at http://www.usajobs.gov
and click on "Application Status." Click on the position title, and then select Apply Online to continue. If you have problems completing your on-line application, including problems submitting your supporting documents, please contact the Help Desk by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 866.656.6831. The help desk is available Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET.
For instructions on submitting your application in another format, please contact: Jonathan Ford, Human Resources Assistance at 816.426.7838 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
A complete application consists of the following:
* REQUIRED - Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional.
Your resume must indicate your citizenship and if you are registered for Selective Service if you are a male born after 12/31/59. Your resume should also list your educational and work experience and must include the dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment, the number of hours worked per week, your salary, and grade (for federal positions only). Your resume may be used to validate your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire.
*REQUIRED, if applicable, Veterans Preference documentation,
If applicable, please indicate on your resume the type of veterans' preference you are claiming and provide the appropriate supporting documentation (DD-214 stating disposition of discharge or character of service, VA letter, SF-15, etc.) to validate your claim. For more information regarding eligibility requirements, please go to: http://www.opm.gov/staffingportal/vetguide.asp
*REQUIRED, if applicable, Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) documentation.
See "Other information"
*REQUIRED, valid United States Coast Guard license for Third Assistant Engineer or higher, endorsed for motor vessels. To determine if your license is valid, include both the endorsement page and the expiration page.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You will be notified of your application status through USAJOBS at four points during the hiring process, as applicable. You can check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://www.usajobs.gov
and clicking on "Track Your Online Application." The four points of notification are:
1. Application Received or Application Incomplete
2. Minimum Qualification Requirement Met or Minimum Qualification Not Met;
3. Eligible (Application Referred to the Selecting Official) or Eligible (Application Not Referred to the Selecting Official); and
4. Selected or Not Selected. By submitting your application, you are certifying the accuracy of the information contained in your application.
If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be terminated after you begin work; or, you may be fined or jailed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. You will be required to submit official documentation prior to appointment. The agency will then verify the information provided on your application (i.e., degree, veterans' preference, disability, etc.).
Additional Duty Location Info
Few vacancies in the following locations:
Ketchikan, AK View Map
Kodiak, AK View Map
San Diego, CA View Map
Honolulu, HI View Map
Woods Hole, MA View Map
Pascagoula, MS View Map
Newport, OR View Map
Davisville, RI View Map
Charleston, SC View Map
Norfolk, VA View Map