Job Title: Student Trainee (Administrative)-InternJob Announcement Number: NSF-2013-0051
Agency: National Science Foundation
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, October 17, 2013 to
Friday, November 01, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full-time or Part-time. -
This is an Internship position under the Pathways Internship Program
WHO MAY APPLY:
Open to any U.S. Citizen, at least 16 years old, who is a student. Must be enrolled for the current Fall 2013 semester, in a degree or certificate-seeking program taking at least a half-time course load. Must have at least a 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale. Students are employed throughout the academic year.
Ever wonder who discovers a black hole? Who tracks monarch butterfly flight patterns or hosts a conference for robots? Believe it or not, the National Science Foundation helps to make all of these things possible! In addition to funding research in traditional academic areas, the agency supports innovative ideas, novel collaborations and numerous projects that may seem like science fiction today, but become the reality of tomorrow.
Our flexible work opportunities for students allow you to gather real professional experience and meaningful contacts as you begin your career. You will have the opportunity to see how both the federal government and our agency operate. Together, we ensure that the daily operations at NSF run smoothly and serve the needs of the science, engineering and education communities to produce results. Join us today! More about NSF. Positions under this vacancy announcement will be filled using hiring authorities under the Pathways Programs.
This is an opportunity under the Internship Program component of the Pathways Programs. The Internship Program provides students enrolled in high schools, colleges, trade schools and other qualifying educational institutions with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while completing their education. Veteran's Preference will be applied in filling positions under the Pathways Programs.
The National Science Foundation (NSF) posts announcements for opportunities in the Internship Program multiple times per year.
* This vacancy will be used to make multiple selections for positions at NSF.
* Candidates applying for an Internship position are applying for one of several similar positions in the agency.
* Applications to this announcement become part of an active applicant pool, and will be considered up to 120-days from the closing of the announcement.
* When a hiring manager requests an intern, qualified candidates will be forwarded for consideration.
* The hiring manager will contact directly candidates who have been selected for an interview.
* If you are not selected for a position before the next Internship announcement is posted, your application becomes inactive.
* To be considered for other Internship positions at NSF, candidates must reapply each time a new announcement is posted.
* Eligible candidates must be enrolled at least half-time in an accredited academic institution and maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher.
* Interns can be hired for Internship positions at any time during the year.
* Interns typically work part-time during the school year and full-time during the summer, winter, and spring vacations.
* Interns will be on indefinite appointments during their period of eligibility under the Internship Program.
* Interns will be required to sign an agreement that outlines the parameters of the Internship Program during employment with NSF.
* The Internship Program allows students an opportunity to be converted non-competitively to a career-conditional or term position once the student completes all requirements of the Internship Program.
* Noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term position is not guaranteed. The Intern’s eligibility for conversion does not guarantee that the agency will opt for conversion.
- You must type 40 words per minute with no more than 3 errors.
- You must have a grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- You must be taking/enroll at least a half-time course load.
- Background investigation.
- Preview questions at bottom of Qualifications &Evaluations--see tab above
- Selective Service registration required for male applicants, unless exempt.
DUTIES:Back to top
Our Student Trainees (Administrative) are clerical positions. They provide support to National Science Foundation scientists and administrators who promote and fund the best possible awards through grants. These positions can be your first step into a fulfilling career at NSF. As a Student Trainee (Administrative) you will:
* Assist with typing a variety of documents
* Enter data using software such as Excel and PowerPoint
* Screening and routing incoming correspondence
* Establish and maintain files in connection with work of the office
* Assist with visitors and answering incoming calls to the office
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
* You must be able to type at least 40 words per minute with no more than three errors.
* To apply for the GS-3 level job, you must have 6 months of full-time clerical experience OR 1 year of education above the high school (e.g., be going into your sophomore year of college).
* To apply for the GS-4 level job, you must have 1 year of full-time clerical experience OR 2 years of education above high school (e.g., be going into your junior year of college).
* To apply for the GS-5 level job, you must have 1 year of full-time experience at the GS-4 level OR 4 years of education above high school (e.g., Successfully completed four full years of education above high school level.)
* A combination of education and experience can also be used to qualify for all levels.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
All Education must be accredited by an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants may verify accreditation at the following website: Accreditation
Note: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that's part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
You must meet eligibility and qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date. You must answer all job-related questions in the NSF eRecruit questionnaire. All online applicants must provide a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
Education may be substituted for experience as described in "Qualifications." You must meet eligibility and qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date. You must answer all job-related questions in the NSF eRecruit questionnaire. All online applicants must provide a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position. Applicant qualifications will be assessed based on level of completed education and relevant work experience.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligibles. Based on your responses to the questionnaire, you will be assigned a score. Your score will determine in which of three categories you will be placed: Excellent, Very Good, or Good. Under this process, veterans will be assigned to the appropriate category (without additional preference points) and then placed at the top of their category. Review your resume and responses carefully. Responses that are not fully supported by the information in your application package may result in adjustments to your score. A Human Resources Representative will validate the qualifications of those candidates eligible to be referred to the selecting official.
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
A GREAT LOCATION! The National Science Foundation is conveniently located one from the Ballston Metro Station, a few blocks from Routes 66 and 50, and about three miles from downtown Washington. Employees may rent parking spaces in the building garage. There are many shops and restaurants within easy walking distance. Eligible employees receive:
10 paid holidays per year
13-26 days paid annual (vacation) leave per year
13 days paid sick leave per year
Public transportation subsidy
Child Development Center on site
Child care subsidy
Flexible working hours
Physical Fitness Facility on site
NSF Federal Credit Union on site
Health Services Unit on site
Employee Assistance Program
Relocation expenses will not be paid.
This announcement may be used to fill like positions in other organizations within the National Science Foundation. For additional information on the NSF eRecruit system, please visit our NSF eRecruit Applicant Guide
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Your application should be submitted online and must be completed and all required documents successfully faxed (or uploaded) before 11:59 PM Eastern time on the closing date. Since referrals may occur prior to the closing date, we urge you to submit all required documents as soon as possible; you cannot be referred until you have filed a complete application which includes the required documents. You must answer all of the job-related questions to ensure full consideration for this position. For more detailed information, please review our NSF eRecruit Applicant Guide.
If you do not have internet access or if you have questions, please contact the Human Resources Representative listed in the vacancy announcement.
WARNING! Applications submitted online must have a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position. Your application under this job announcement will be considered up to 120 days from the closing date of the announcement.
You are strongly encouraged to submit all required documents at the time you submit your resume.
• You should provide current transcripts that include your GPA (You MUST submit your unofficial college transcripts with your application. This office will be unable to determine qualification eligibility without transcripts. Applications without transcripts are incomplete applications and may be rated "INELIGIBLE". Transcripts will not be accepted after the closing date of this announcement.)
• You should provide proof of enrollment for the current or upcoming semester FALL 2013 (i.e., course schedule, acceptance letter, letter from the registrar.)
DD-214, CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE FROM ACTIVE DUTY: If you are entitled to veterans' preference, you must provide a copy of your DD-214, and you should indicate the type of veterans' preference you are claiming on your resume. Your veterans' preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency. -- For 5-point veterans' preference, submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 Copy), or an official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty, or other official documentation (e.g., documentation of receipt of a campaign badge or expeditionary medal) that proves your military service was performed under honorable conditions.
For 10-point veterans' preference, please submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, DD-214, and the required documentation requested by this form. --For information on veteran's eligibility visit: http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetguide.asp. At the time of application, if you choose not to upload the documents, you will be directed to a webpage which lists the available fax coversheets for any documents we require. (Veterans note: documents related to veteran's preference are requested only when you first register in NSF's eRecruit system.) Please print out the appropriate fax coversheet(s) and follow the instructions carefully. All faxing/uploading must be completed before 11:59 PM Eastern time on the vacancy closing date. If you are faxing your information, please use extreme care in dialing the fax number to assure we receive your information. You will receive an email confirmation of receipt of your faxed/uploaded document(s).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check the status of your application at any time on the USAJOBS website