Job Title:Military Pay Clerk
Department:Department of Defense
Agency:Defense Finance and Accounting Service
Job Announcement Number:D-DFAS-975584-14
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Thursday, October 10, 2013 to
Tuesday, October 22, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Indianapolis, IN United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens |
DFAS' mission is to lead the DoD in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas. For more information visit www.dfas.mil
Vacancy Information: This position is located in Defense Finance and Accounting Service in Indianapolis, IN.
This position is being announced using the USA Staffing Application Manager system. Please click the How to Apply tab for instructions on applying for this position.
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Background Investigation
- Suitable for Federal Employment
- Registered for Selective Service (if applicable)
DUTIES:Back to top
Duties will be developmental in nature when filled below the full performance level.
- Establishes, maintains, reviews, determines processes, and closes payroll accounts for active, reserve, or retired armed forces personnel and their annuitants.
- Exercises precision in entering personnel actions, reviewing pay authorization documents, determining entitlements, and processing pay entitlement actions that serve as a basis for pay and leave computation and affect the disbursement of pay.
- Conducts military payroll audits requiring in-depth research of historical records.
- Provides assistance to customers regarding military payroll services.
- Reviews completed or rejected military pay transactions taking corrective action when necessary, and compiling information regarding the causes of incorrect pay entitlements.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: One year of general experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. General experience is defined as progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Two years of successfully completed education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation, or the equivalent, is a prerequisite may be substituted to meet the general experience requirement. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
Background or Security Investigation: This is a non-critical sensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection Procedures. All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated based upon information you provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If a determination is made that the work experience described in your submitted resume does not support your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire, your score may be reduced, and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are already a DFAS employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including removal from Federal service.
Eligible candidates will then be placed for selection consideration into 3 categories as described below:
- Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualifications and demonstrates minimum experience and/or training only based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Highly Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates full-performance level experience based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Best Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates experience as an expert in the field or recognized as a senior specialist, team lead, etc.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Payroll Concepts, Policies and Principles - Apply military pay legislation, administrative and regulatory requirements, laws and policies governing military pay activities and processes.
- Financial Management Systems - Utilize integrated federal financial management systems and sub-systems to extract data, identify and resolve system problems, and maintain data integrity.
- Mathematical Reasoning: Skill in performing detailed mathematical calculations sufficient to manually compute a wide range of payroll entitlements.
- Communication: Skill in communicating effectively with internal and external customers.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.