In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: work that involves medical records coding, auditing coded records, and knowledge of complex medical terminology.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
in Training and Internal Audits
to Code Medical Records
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify.
For this job, you must meet the
qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education
for experience is permitted OR For this job, you may qualify if your
education meets the definitions below:
Education does not substitute for experience for this vacancy.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
Conditions of Employment:
Certification in one of the following is required for this position:
1. Certified Coding Associate (CCA);
2. Certified Coding Specialist (CCS);
3. Certified Coding Specialist-Professional (CCS-P);
4. Certified Professional Coder (CPC);
5. Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPC-H);
6. Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA);
7. Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
* If you do not submit one of the above
certifications you will be rated ineligible.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.