Dedicated to Patient-Centered Care, the Southern Arizona VA Healthcare System (SAVAHCS) is a state of the art network of health care facilities throughout Southern Arizona comprised of the medical center in Tucson, Arizona and seven Community Based Outpatient Clinics in Casa Grande, Green Valley, Safford, Sierra Vista, Yuma, Northwest and Southeast Tucson. Through an environment of compassion, education, and research, SAVAHCS is a national model of clinical and organizational excellence.
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 964642 (Include # on all documents)
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/.
NOTE: The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-11. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-5 to GS-11. The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidates education and experience and recommend the grade and step at which the candidate will be placed. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses ARE NOT authorized for this position.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentive may be authorized.
Are YOU the one?
We expect members of the SAVAHCS team to continually meet the VISN 18 Quality Standards.
Safety: SAFETY comes first!
Kindness: Treat Veterans, families, guests and SAVAHCS team members with compassion, respect and dignity.
Performance Excellence: Give your personal best and strive to "exceed expectations."
Presentation: Demonstrate professionalism, positive attitude and passion.
Stewardship: Accept responsibility for the duties entrusted to you, maintain the environment and support the SAVAHCS tradition of exceptional health care.
This is a reannouncement. Applicants who have previously applied need not reapply and will be considered.
The Orthotist/Prothetist, provides the appropriate orthotic and/or prosthetic devices and treatment.
- Performs a comprehensive assessment of the patient to obtain an understanding of the patients orthotic/prosthetic needs.
- Completes a comprehensive patient history, including demographic characteristics, family dynamics, previous use of an orthosis/prosthesis, diagnosis, work history, vocational activities, signs and symptoms, medical history, reimbursement status, patient expectations and results of diagnostics evaluations.
- Assist with the formulation of the treatment plan by performing a diagnosis-specific functional clinical examination, including manual muscle-testing, gait assessment and evaluation of sensory function, cognitive ability, range of motion, joint stability, skin integrity and compliance.
- Consult with other health care professionals and care givers about patient's condition to assist in formulating a treatment plan.
- Communicate with patient and/or care giver about the recommended treatment plan, and any optional plans, to involve them in orthotic or prosthetic are; include disclosure of potential risks/benefits.
- Refer patient to other health care professionals, if needed.
- Create a comprehensive orthotic/prosthetic treatment plan to meet the needs and goals of the patients.
- Evaluate the findings to determine an orthotic/prosthetic recommendation.
- Perform the necessary procedures to deliver the appropriate orthotic/prosthetic services.
- Provide the patient with information describing the procedure required to initiate the treatment plan.
- Select appropriate materials, components and specifications for orthosis/prosthesis.
- Fabricate/assemble prescribed devices by assembling selected materials/components.
- Provide gait training/functional-use training Provide periodic evaluation to assure/maintain/document optional fit and function of the orthosis/prosthesis.
- Solicit subjective feedback from patient and/or care giver to determine status. Complies with policies, procedures and regulations regarding human resources management, physical environment management, business/financial management and organizational management.