Bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science
. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
GS-12: You qualify for the GS-12 level (starting salary $74,872) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-11 level performing duties such as supporting and maintaining multiple versions of network equipment (managed switches, firewalls); supporting and maintaining the installation, configuration and maintenance of blade servers, standard servers and associated manufacturer firmware or utilities; and installing, configuring and maintaining storage (NAS-SAN) and any associated manufacturer firmware or utilities.
GS-13: You qualify for the GS-13 level (starting salary $89,033) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-12 level performing duties such as supporting and maintaining multiple versions of the Junos (Juniper) operating system; supporting and maintaining the installation, configuration and maintenance of IBM H Series Chassis and associated manufacturer firmware or utilities; installing configuring and maintaining Dell PowerEdge Servers and any associated manufacturer firmware or utilities; and installing, configuring and maintaining NetApp Storage and any associated manufacturer firmware or utilities.
Selective Placement Factor: In addition to the minimum qualifications described above, you must meet the following requirement(s) to be considered qualified for this position:
- Knowledge of IT concepts, security principles, methods, and practices in order to provide advice and guidance to management on system capabilities. Certification is evidenced by specific Information Technology and Project Management Certifications in the following areas: Application Development and Databases; Software and Hardware; and Network and Security.
- Knowledge of computer operating systems (i.e., Linux), network operations, servers, and protocols to ensure information is transmitted securely through various systems, and to protect and restore systems in case of down-time.
Qualifications Must Be Met: The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Conditions of Employment If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Obtain and maintain a top secret clearance. Completion of a single scope background investigation is required before appointment.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so, if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959.
- Submit to a polygraph examination prior to your appointment.
- Lift 25 - 45 lbs.
- Climb and conduct work on a ladder.
- Frequent travel may be required.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
"This announcement is being filled using the Schedule A Hiring Authority under Excepted Service procedures. Applicants who meet the basic requirement, specialized experience and selective placement factors for the position will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration.” The answers provided in the online process must be substantiated by your resume. Upon review, your resume and supporting documents need to support your answer choices, in order to be considered and deemed eligible. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles:
- Knowledge of computer operating systems (i.e., Linux) network operations, servers, and protocols to ensure information is transmitted securely through various systems, and to protect and restore systems in case of down-time.
- Skill in applying theoretical foundations of computer science, including computer system architecture, digital storage manipulation, and system software organization.
- Ability to conduct analyses and recommend solutions to complex security issues.
- Skill relating to the diagnosing and implementing solutions of highly complex problems that impact multiple communications technologies and systems.
If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here
to access OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must meet the basic requirement, specialized experience and selective placement factors as described above for this position. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans with 5 or 10 point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles. To preview questions please click here.