Our mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan," - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Every job at the VA impacts the Veterans that we serve. You can be part of that team, helping to make sure that our Veterans receive the top-quality care they deserve.
Location: This position is within the Office of Acquisition Operations, Strategic Acquisition Center in Fredericksburg, VA.
More selection(s) may be made from this announcement should the need arise.
Area of Consideration. To be eligible under Merit Promotion, you must have an eligibility listed below:
Competitive Merit Promotion:
- Transfer or Reinstatement eligibles: current Federal or former employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service that hold, or have held a career or career-conditional position at a lower grade level as the position being announced. An SF-50 must show appointment in the competitive service.
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) eligibles.
Non-Competitive Merit Promotion:
- ICTAP/CTAP eligibles
- Disabled veterans receiving 30% or more disability compensation from the VA
- Individuals with severe disabilities (eligible for Schedule A appointments)
- Individuals eligible under other non-competitive appointment authorities such as: Military spouses under E.O. 13473; Certain former overseas employees; Present and former Peace Corps, Vista or Action volunteers; Former White House staff; Present and former Foreign Service officers and employees; Certain National Guard technicians.
- Current and former Federal employees who meet the established criteria outlined in an Office of Personnel Management Interchange Agreement
- Transfer or reinstatement eligibles that hold, or have previously held a career or career-conditional position at the same or higher grade level with the same or higher promotion potential as the position being announced.
Note: This position is also being announced under [announcement number] to all U.S. citizens. Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria are encouraged to apply under both announcements.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities (i.e. intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities) and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
As a Contract Specialist you will be responsible for performing professional work involving the procurement of supplies and services in accordance with regulatory guidance. Examples of equipment and supplies include: medical or facility equipment, medical/surgical supplies, nursing home services, readjustment counseling services, medical services, minor construction, and information technology services to include hardware and software. Specifically, you will:
- Negotiate contracts of significant monetary value
- Plan and coordinate procurement assignments for supplies and services
- Develop and maintain systems to evaluate and monitor contractual performance
- Analyze information (such as business trends, market conditions, etc.) to negotiate prices
- Incorporate changed contract requirements
View Assessment Questions