Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Southern California Area Field Office (SOCA AFO), in Pasadena, CA. This position starts at a salary of $73655 (GS-12). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Recovery Division team within FEMA.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
This position is being announced under FEMA's CORE Program (Cadre of On-call Response/Recovery employees). These positions are authorized under P.L. 93-288 to perform temporary disaster work and are funded from the Disaster Relief Fund. Appointments are excepted service, temporary appointments. This is a 2 year temporary appointment in the Excepted Service.
This position focuses on, but is not limited to assignments involving the delivery of the Public Assistance (PA) Program before, during and following federally declared emergencies and Presidential declared disasters. Typical assignments include:
- Manages various public assistance components of the organization required for rapid Federal response to Presidentially-declared disasters and emergencies under the provisions of PL 93-288, to provide assistance to the affected communities and states.
- Conducts the review of project applications, supplements, and closeout of Final Inspection Reports (FIRs) with associated Project Worksheets, for conformity to regulations and established eligibility criteria and procedural funding requirements.
- Participates in conducting on-site training for public assistance personnel to include fulltime and temporary hire personnel, local hires, and selected personnel for state, local and non-profit agencies.
- Assists the Environmental Officer and Historical Preservation Officer on all programs and activities having environmental and/or historical assessment of clearance requirements.
- Assists in the management of the National Emergency Management Information System (NEMIS) and the Emergency Management Migrated Information Environment (EMMIE).