All qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
All Accountant positions require the following education requirement within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement. You may satisfy the education requirement by submitting transcripts to verify that you meet the requirement below, or by submitting an SF-50 showing that you currently hold or previously have held a position in the 0510 (Accountant) or 0511 (Auditor) occupational series in the Federal government.
A degree from an accredited college or university in accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law; OR
B. Combination of Experience and Education At least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
* Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; or * A certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or * Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial coursework in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) you have successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that you demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, your education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
You may start at $123,758 (GS-15) if you also possess the following within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement:
One year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-14 grade level overseeing an organization’s accounting and financial reporting function. Examples include the preparation of separate financial statements for a single reporting entity and/or on a combined basis that are used in a published annual report or regulatory filing.
In addition, a CPA or CPA candidate is preferred.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the basic qualification requirements, we will further evaluate your resume and cover letter to determine the quality and extent to which your background (experience, education, training, etc.) relates to the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs):
1) Experience preparing and reviewing detailed trial balances and consolidated work papers, as well as overseeing the preparation of accurate and timely financial statements.
2) Experience supervising and directing accounting and financial reporting activities involving complex and diverse assets and liabilities, income, and expenses entries, as well as cash flow transactions as well as preparing the FACTS II reporting (Budgetary Usage reporting to Treasury FMS) and FMS Form 2108 (Budgetary Usage Report at fiscal year end to Treasury).
3) Experience interpreting FASAB or FASB accounting guidance related to the recording and classifying of complex assets, liabilities as well as income and expense activity.
4) Experience representing the organization on technical accounting and financial reporting topics for discussions with senior management, Treasury, FMS, GAO, OMB, OIG, key stakeholders (internal or external) or external auditors.
Based on that evaluation, we will rate you Best Qualified, Qualified, or Minimally Qualified.
If, after your application has been rated by the Subject Matter Expert, you are found to meet none of the KSAs listed above, your status will remain Minimally Qualified.
To preview questions please click here.