NOTE: This position is in the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps and you will be referred as a Commissioned Corps personnel and not as a candidate to a permanent GS career or career-conditional appointment. This USPHS position is being filled at the rank of Lieutenant Commander (O-4).
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: ONLY USPHS OFFICERS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION BASED ON THE APPLICANT'S YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AND THE NEEDS OF THE LOCATION.
Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
This is a key position within the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). ICE utilizes the government's second largest cadre of law enforcement officers to ensure our nation's economic, transportation and infrastructure security. ICE enforces immigration and customs laws. Our talented and courageous workforce identifies criminal activities and eliminates vulnerabilities that pose a threat to our nation's borders.
ICE is the primary investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security. With more than 19,000 employees in 400 offices around the world, ICE is a key component of the DHS layered defense approach to protecting our nation. For additional information about ICE and career opportunities go to http://www.ice.gov/.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of U.S.Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) directorate. The U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC staff serves as the medical experts for ICEs.
It is the responsibility of the Physician Assistant to adhere to policies and procedures as stated in the ICE Health Service Corps(IHSC) Policies and Procedures Manual.
MISSION: The ICE Health Service Corps protects America by providing health care and public health services in support of immigration and customs law enforcement. This is accomplished through maintaining a committed, effective and efficient workforce who provides evidenced based appropriate health care in a cost effective manner.
1. Maintains clinical professional skills/licensure.
2. It is the responsibility of the Social Worker to adhere to National/Local Policies and Procedures as stated in the ICE Health Service Corps (IHSC) Policies and Procedures Manual as well as other Accrediting Agencies.
3. Maintains CPR/BLS certification.
4. Cultural Competency.
5. Good Oral/Written Communication Skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interpretation and translation activities within the scope of the employees duties.
- Assess these employees language abilities to ensure their competency to perform language services for particular duties; and describe plans for enhancing employees language abilities.
- Assess and evaluate the mental health of detainees and refer to outside treatment facilities if necessary.
- Works in conjunction with ICE/OPLA legal counsel providing written evaluation reports on the mental health status of individuals placed on SMI (Seriously Mental Illness List).
- Provides weekly reports/updates on individuals on SMI list to HQ mental health department.
- Provides counseling, psychotherapy, behavioral analysis, and substance abuse education, as required.
- Provides acute medical and mental health treatment to individuals that present with signs/symptoms of sexual or physical assault, abuse, and/or neglect.
- Provides acute medical and mental health treatment to individuals that present with signs/symptoms of suicidal, dangerous, or psychotic behaviors.
- Serves as the suicide prevention program coordinator.
- Possesses a high level of skill in assessing, recognizing, and treating behavioral or other mental health conditions that interfere with successful treatment.
- Serves as a mental health consultant to other health professionals at the facility.
- Provides education and training to medical, ICE, and contract staff.
- Responsible for all case management which may involve community treatment placement, hospital placement, or other after care situations.
- Coordinates and monitors program functions including Post Order Custody Reviews (POCR), Alternatives to Detention (ATD), and Availability of Health Care Programs.
- Obtains information to assist the Branch Chief and Division Director in responding to external inquires regarding ICE Case Management Unit related issues.
- Develops trainings/education materials for the Branch Chief and/or Division Director, as required.
- Coordinates along side HQ mental health unit for continuity of care for placement in, or treatment of, detainees in appropriate settings as required by the conditions of release outlined by ICE.
- Utilizes EMR system for completing treatment authorization request, case entry and exit reports.
- Assists the case manager in the development of detail oriented research into availability of healthcare in countries worldwide.
- Assists in preparation towards accreditation/compliance.
- Assists the local performance improvement coordinator in completion of clinical performance improvement activities/risk identification and management directly related to mental health.
- Provide radiological services; these services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance i.e. digital single view chest x-rays.
- Participates in the local performance improvement committee.
- Follows supervisory chain of command.
- Performs other collateral duties as assigned.